Honda Civic Si 246K miles!

If the timing belt replacement and other recent services is well documented, I would pay over KBB value since these items are “unknown” in a typical KBB valuation. Still another 100K puts you into the 350K mile range. A new automatic transmission is likely going to be needed or a new clutch if it is a manual. So, don’t expect this to be a low maintenance costs to own car at this point.

@2001dodgeram

“I sold a '09 Civic Si because i could no longer afford it”

That older Civic Si with 246K will cost you even more to maintain than the '09, even if it has been well maintained.

Yes, some people drive their cars a lot (sometimes hard) and keep them up. To me it’s not a matter of miles; it’s a matter of price and wading into the unknown.

If the car is solid mechanically now then I see no reason why it won’t eke out another 100k miles depending upon driving habits and maintenance habits.
If the timing belt tensioners and water pump were not replaced at the same time as the timing belt then it really needs to redone and done correctly.
If there was some complaint that led to the valve adjustment this could be seen as a potential problem.

The operative phrase in all of this is “If…”.

Best of luck anyway. :slight_smile:

Si = F+F wannabe owner= had the snot beat out of it.

Do the following: ask if it has a Cold Air Intake. Ask it in a manner that sounds like you’re hoping for a “yes.” If the response includes the words “K + N” or any sort of oiled filter, add 100k mi to the odometer due to poor filtration. (And then hang up.)

Remember that Hondas Nickel-plate their cylinder barrels, so impractical to rebuild. If I were in your price range, I’d look for an iron-engined vehicle with a 7-figure production run. (One of the GMs with the 3800, for example.) I’d look for no rust and straight, and not care much about anything else.

Then I’d buy an engine/tranny combo out of a u-pull-it, place it in my basement, and rebuild it bit by bit over the winter…planning to install it in the spring. (I’d do the same with the AT, but I’d farm it out.)

"I sold a '09 Civic Si because i could no longer afford it"

That older Civic Si with 246K will cost you even more to maintain than the '09, even if it has been well maintained.

HUH?? He’s not talking about just maintenance…he’s also talking about payments - which account for 99% of the total ownership cost per year.

@2001dodgeram: “Are there not people out there that love their cars and perhaps do ride them hard, but at the same time keep the maintenance up?”

Yes, there are, and I am one of them. I drive a 1998 Civic DX with 246,000 miles, and I would not buy the car you’re considering (I bought mine new). I’m positive there is just as good a car that is available closer to you than this one that you can test drive without traveling across the country, take to your mechanic for a pre-sale inspection, and be happy with for several years to come.

Are there not people out there that love their cars and perhaps do ride them hard, but at the same time keep the maintenance up?

I too am one of them. And someone who buys one of my vehicles is getting a very well cared vehicle. But how do you know that?? We sold my 98 Pathfinder with over 400k miles to my daughters ex boyfriend for $200. If you look at how well it was maintained and how well it ran…it was probably work a few thousand…HOWEVER no one is going to spend $2000 for a vehicle with 400k miles on it. It’s just not realistic. My daughters ex-boyfriend got a good vehicle…Drove it for at least 3 more years…and put almost another 100k miles on it.

Ok, so I just picked up this cream puff from auction. It’s everything I imagined plus some. The clutch is tight. Engine sounds great, tires look new, and oil is fresh. I will definitely drop another engine in this car before I even consider letting it go. Well, the brakes do appear to need a little work. Now, perhaps next week the engine blows. Until then, I’m very satisfied. :smiley:
I stole it for $2,200!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and I look forward to driving this car for a long time!

This car has a timing belt not a timing chain. If it had 150k on the clock $2500 would be a good price. With 246k miles on it, I’d pass.

@2001DodgeRam: I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase, and hope you many happy miles.

While you might have “overpaid” around 20%, if you get, say 5 years’ happy motoring out of it, the extra $500 is small beer.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, I believe Ray has said in the past that what condition the car is in is more important than how many miles (assuming it really has been taken care of) A co-worker put north of 300k on her non-si Civic before giving it to her daughter (who put in a new engine)

Going a little off-topic here, but for you folks that drive a car to 300K miles, how beat up is the car by that point? I have 2 kids, and by that time the interior would look like something in a wrecking yard. Even if you’re careful, armrests, doorpanels, seats and carpets would be quite worn, not to mention door dings every inch and a windshield full of chips.

I’m fairly clean and careful, but still, life happens.

I am actually more curious to know how the undercarriage looks like. Our 2000 Dodge Caravan was essentially seeping oil from every seal, not much but under the car was a mess (it wasn’t the PCV valve). It actually didn’t loose much oil between the 3K mile oil changes, but the interior would smell of burnt oil. It had close to 170K miles when we sold it.

@asemaster, My co-worker drove her civic the 180+ miles each way to see her family on a pretty regular basis and drove from Washington to Montana every few months to visit her son at college (a 1400 mile round trip) and kept her car in pretty good condition. Door dings are hard to avoid when you park in a grocery store parking lot everyday but the body and interior didn’t show that much wear.

@asemaster, my kids are grown and I always park way out on the edge by myself to avoid the door slammers who are oblivious to those around them.
This is my '96 Lincoln that I bought 4 years ago and just rolled over 222k miles. The far side and interior are just as clean as the visible drivers’s side.

I believe not having kids greatly helps you keep a vehicle clean and not wear it down so much(cosmetically). The woman who owned it apparently did not ride around with any children. The only visibly worn item I saw was the drivers floor mat(which are all original). I looked at the undercarriage and did not see any oil seeping or appear to notice any leaks. The engine compartment also looks fairly clean. There are a couple spots here and there where you can see oil. She took her fancy stereo, but left me her two amps and subs in the trunk. I’m not trying to brag or anything. I’m just excited about the car, I guess. Ha ha.

Is it out of line to perhaps send her a letter and ask for any maintenance records she may have? Her contact info was written in the owners manual.
I would take comfort in the fact that whoever bought my car would want to take care of it as much as I did.

It sounds like you might have gotten a very well-maintained higher mileage car. Honda makes a great car. As someone said, good luck getting a Chrysler product with this many miles and ANY life left in it… One thing odd about Hondas is that they still use non-hydraulic lifters (or they did until recently) so it is part of the routine maintenance to get these adjusted every so many miles. Ignore this and you risk burning valves… This, along with the timing belt and water pump have been done. Plus is a manual transmission which is great. It also probably has a lot of life left in it which wouldn’t be said for an automatic with this many miles. You might consider changing the fluid in the transmission if it hasn’t been done in a while.

Either way, keep the car maintained and it should treat you well.

@ok4450, those sure are nice cars, fun to drive. I almost bought one a while ago after selling a Thunderbird, but my wife was pregnant with our first kid and I needed 4 doors. Does the rear center light still work? That has a flourescent ballast, right? Yeah, my cars, my house, hell my whole life was cleaner and tidier before children but I don’t think that’s an excuse to get rid of them. Between soccer, baseball, crowded parking lots, and pogo stick accidents in my own garage we end up with our share of dings and stains.

@200dodgeram, on the contrary, I think she might like to hear from the new owner. Especially if she has taken as good care of the car as you describe. It might comfort her to know that the new owner of her beloved car will be as serious about maintenance as she was.

My wifes Accords (87 and 96) went through the kids years. But when got rid of them (gave them to relatives) …the interiors were very very good to excellent. The trick is keeping up with the cleaning. With kids you have to do a lot more cleaning then without.