Hitching a trailer to a Chevy Prism

Agree 100% with mb…There’s a difference between towing a trailer…and towing a trailer SAFELY. Just because you can hook a trailer up to a vehicle and the vehicle is able to MOVE…doesn’t mean it’s SAFE to tow.

I’ve done a lot of towing with '88 Nissan Pulsar SE and '90 Acura Integra LS. Especially with the Acura big loads. Sometimes over 2000 lbs up the boat ramp. Once about 2000 lbs of ceramic tile for home improvement. Those weights include the trailer. Both engines only 1.8L 4 cylinders. My buddy pulls similar with old AWD Tercel maybe 1.3 L. With automatic shift to gears that keep the tack over 2000 rpm. Down big hills gear down so that you don’t need to ride brake. Don’t follow closely, keep tounge weight less than 100 lbs. The idea is you’re starting new busines and need to keep expenses low. The Prism can do it. You’ll be glad when you can upgrade. The best towing capacity for the money is the Subaru Forester along with great gas mileage for higher towing capacity (when not towing.) Rated at 2500 lbs. The other pretend SUVs are useless when it comes to time for tough work. Keep your eyes open for a cheap Forester and go easy on the Prism. Good luck!

I can’t remember what a Prism looks like, how big it is. But my '97 Accord often is utilized to pull a small utility trailer, such as one mentioned of being sold at Home Depot. Is has moved an upright piano, yard debris, riding mowers, enough lumber to build a 30 foot diameter deck (not all at once, of course), and top soil by yard at a time. I also have a '99 F250 and a much larger trailer, but, for 90 percent of around-the-house projects, the smaller combination does perfectly fine.