Higher Gas prices = Better Drivers? I hope gas goes up

rick the rules once supported slavery, genocide and treating women as property

they still do in some places

rick you have me agreeing with whitey. you have to accept that its not everyone else, it s you. it took me a long time o figure that out. improve yourself and quit worrying about controlling others, or join the party and move to china

Rick, you cannot deny posting this subject routinely in the same sentence as you say I respond every time. Make up your mind. Either you post the thread routinely and I respond every time or you don’t… and if that’s true, than the other statement has no meaning.

Yes, if the stream of traffic is going 15-20mph over the limit, you should also. To do otherwise creates turbulence in the flow of traffic, and that causes accidents.

Yes, I can see that you’re confused. You’re lumping traffic violations in with felonies.

and everything does not have to do with “alchoholic attitudes” geez, they don’t allow alchohol in sharia controlled areas and look how happy they are.

this thread is causing wasted gas because you are so infuriating that I must drive to Colorado and get a joint to avoid having my head explode. it s legal there. but it s not legal there, what do you do when the rules are not consistent?

Oh boy. In law class the professor said a number of times that laws are only effective if the majority of the people are following them. If everyone is driving faster than the speed limit, maybe what is needed is raising the speed limit, not more enforcement.

I sincerely hope though that if I’m at the state fair and some deranged soul starts shooting people, that you would have violated the no gun rule and could pull out your concealed weapon in defense.

However, that's a lame excuse, because I'm a leader, not a follower.

You don’t drive safely. You drive the way YOU want to drive and are child enough to think that every should drive the way you do. You are an accident waiting to happen.

@MikeInNH: “You drive the way YOU want to drive and are child enough to think that every should drive the way you do.”

No, I don’t think everyone should drive the way I do. I think they should drive their cars and I should drive mine. Live and let live, but don’t tell me I should drive a certain way because other people drive that way. I think for myself, I make my own decisions, and I own those decisions. I don’t attribute my behavior to someone else. My locus of control rests with me.

I never said other people drive like me, nor do I think so.

I disagree that if everyone else drives case, then we all should. This hypothesis ignores that the are a lot of people that not only drive the speed limit, but go substantially under it. I encounter this every day during rush hour. Now that vacations have started for the summer, it is possible for people to go very fast on I-95. Some of these folks must be going well over 80 and they weave all over the place. Yet some trucks and cars are going 50 to 55 in the same 65 MPH zone. I am amazed that line of cars no more than 2 car lengths apart and going between 70 and 80 hasn’t been part of a chain accident. And I want to remind you that there are two parts to the issue. The one no one discusses is that if there is an accident at very high speed, it is much more likely that the people involved will die. Recall also that stopping distance increases as the square of the speed. Someone goes 55 and has to make a panic stop in 150 feet. If someone else is behind him going 80 in an identical car at a distance of 150 feet, the second driver will hit the stopped first car at about 55 MPH.

yes, some cars are simply not safe to drive at 75 or 80 nomatter what the other drivers are doing

In the example I gave, no car is safe at 80.

I will almost always take the back roads and go around certain sections of highway. some people just drive like selfish idiots and it s not safe no matter how well you are driving

I’ll do almost anything to save money on gasoline. Gasoline prices for regular went up at most stations today to $3.95 to $3.99 a gallon. However, one Marathon station still had gasoline at $3.78 a gallon. I pulled into the station and the gas door on my Sienna wouldn’t open. My wife was with me and she suggested we head for the Toyota dealer which we did. The service writer managed to get the gas door open and he and a technician got it to the point where if my wife pulls the lever inside the car and I push at the right spot on the gas door, it will open. They didn’t charge for the service, but I have to take the car back to have a permanent repair made. We quickly headed back to the gas station where the price was still $3.78. I quickly pulled up to the pump and started pumping the gas. Just as I finished, the attendant came out and changed the sign to $3.95.
I watch gas prices closely and when the gasoline in the tank drops to half full, I then watch the prices.

I’ve lived through numerous gas price increases, and I’ve never seen any one of them improve anyone’s driving behaviors. If anything, the higher gas prices angered them and made them drive worse. In '73 it made some of them downright dangerous.

@‌WheresRick

“This actually started at work today, I took a half day off and before I left people in the lunchroom were complaining about gas prices crying about them. The people who were crying were the ones who have the most useless gas guzzling vehicles out there, and I told them I hope gas hits 8 bucks a gallon, I will have the roads to myself… I laughed and left”

Rick, you have to work with these guys

Why anger them?

There may be consequences down the road

@Bing‌

“I sincerely hope though that if I’m at the state fair and some deranged soul starts shooting people, that you would have violated the no gun rule and could pull out your concealed weapon in defense.”

It didn’t work out too well for Joseph Wilcox, the guy in the Walmart in Las Vegas . . . the guy with the concealed gun that was killed by that deranged couple a few days ago.

On the flip side of the gun issue, 2 career criminals in St. Louis recently adducted a 17 year old girl outside her home and used her as a human shield to enter and burglarize the home.
The father and mother saw the girl being taken and were not having any of that. They opened up on the thugs when they entered.
One dead thug, one wounded thug, and a safe and sound teenager. The only problem is that there are not 2 dead thugs because the wounded one will likely be released once again and continue on the criminal career path with the next victim not being as lucky as the 17 year old.

Wheres Rick
…people still buy their gas-guzzling SUVs, they still drive a quarter-mile to buy a gallon of milk, and they still put the pedal to the floor even when there’s a red light 100 feet ahead.

Yep, I agree these people should be placed on cement ships with lead sails and sent out to sea.
Unless they’re under 25 years old, in which case I suppose I understand. I drove like an idiot too back then.
Your call for $10 gas would almost certainly mean economic depression though, and probably other unpleasantness.

Yes he died trying to stop a gunman. What else can be said. He tried. Would it have been better if he hadn’t been armed? Better for him or better for the other folks in the store. Its a decision everyone has to make if they decide to carry a weapon. Will they then put their own life in danger trying to save others? Same decision every policeman, fireman, or service member makes. Is it better to die trying or not try at all.