Here's a new dealership call(scam?)

Just a thought - - did you trade your previous vehicle in? Because if you did and they end up cancelling the deal, they have to give it back to you.

No, I didnā€™t trade anything in, the Cx-7 is going to be the work/winter vehicle as it has AWD. THAT would be a nightmare if I traded it in, it sold, and I had to turn the Mustang in.

Chapter 2 of this saga to come shortly

Iā€™ll stay tuned for the next exciting episode!

Went to my bank friday and got myself squared away with the financing paperwork, though I had to run the carā€™s window sticker back out there for their underwriters to verify some things. Said they would get things sent to the dealership as soon as they could.
Emailed the finance guy at the dealership on saturday to make sure everything got to him, but he said he couldnā€™t find any of it, then gave me his personal fax number for the bank to send it to.

Seems to me a good lawyer could successfully argue that it is incumbent on the dealer to determine whether or not a customer meets the financing criteria. In this case, if the credit union in question is a restricted membership type (only state workers or only left-handed Lithuanian pipefitters) they should have gotten that information from you before they told let you take the car home. This smells to me like a scam.

2 Likes

As a few here stated, if the lien holder is a credit union, there may be restrictions on who theyā€™ll finance (where you live, associations you belong to, or companies you work for). Most regular banks will finance for anyone they feel will pay back the loan. If you belong to a credit union, you may have time to get the loan with them. As a last resort, try the mega banks, or try this link:

If you had read the posts you would have seen the OP has his bank taking care of this problem.

1 Like

Read the posts? Isnā€™t that kind of like reading owners manuals?

5 Likes

Had to run out to the bank AGAIN after work today because the window sticker wasnā€™t good enough, they had to have the dealerā€™s invoice for the underwriters. Gave the bank person the dealershipā€™s finance personā€™s phone and fax numbers so I hopefully wonā€™t have to play the middle man anymore.

At this point, turning in the car or being able to keep it doesnā€™t matter, I just want this crap over with. Even if I get to keep it, itā€™ll be a Pyrrhic victory on my end.

But another lesson learned. Oh well.

Hang in there. Come summer, you will think a lot more about how great the Mustang is an much less about the aggravation you feel now.

A friend had a 1980s Corvette. Every time he had it in the shop, he swore heā€™d sell it. After he picked it up, it took a couple blocks to forget the trouble and just enjoy the car.

[quote=ā€œbscar2, post:49, topic:115025ā€]
Had to run out to the bank AGAIN after work today because the window sticker wasnā€™t good enough, they had to have the dealerā€™s invoice for the underwriters. [/quote]

Well, I have admit that is one I never have heard of. I almost think calling the dealer and saying you have 2 days to arrange financing at the same rate and terms as before or the car is yours again.

I once had a similar experience buying a car from a dealer . . . a dealer I worked for at the time, no less

Possibly a worse experience

Anyways, the stuff these guys tried to pull was so shady, it may have been criminal

It took several weeks to sort everything out to my satisfaction . . . Iā€™ll spare you the exact details. I had to stand firm, and even get upper level management involved, to get the shady sales department to stop trying to pull their stunts . . . on one of their coworkers who worked for the same dealership

During that whole time, I was seriously considering just handing the car back. I did NOT feel good when it was all over, even though I didnā€™t get shafted in the end, as somebody at the dealer had actually intended. In the end I got the deal I had hammered out the very first day, the one they were intent on reneging on

After everything was proper and the car was mine, no ifs ands or buts, I never was able to forget about the whole experience. Every t, I had to time I sat in the car, I had to think about the traumatic buying experience. It was an ugly reminder, as to how greedy and evil some people are. Yup, I ran into some salespeople so evil, theyā€™d probably cheat their own mother :older_woman:

And then we only enjoyed the car for about 4 years, before some joker plowed into it, totalling it

And then I had even more fun, because I had to fight the other guyā€™s loser insurance company :frowning_face:

In my case, it was also a pyrrhic victory, to quote @bscar2

Okay. Finally some good news today. I gave each other their respective numbers when I signed papers on Wed. at the bank.
Emailed the salesman earlier today and he said everything is all good

1 Like

Now you can start enjoying your Mustang. Happy motoring!

Iā€™m kinda with @db4690 on this one, Iā€™ve spent so much time BSing around with the financing that I donā€™t know if I can fully enjoy it as I first brought it home.
May try to find some advanced driving classes to try and get the most out of the carā€™s abilities, but time will tell.

1 Like

Glad to hear everything is finally sorted out :smiley:

Skip Barber . . . ?

Only available in NJ and CT it looks like. Mid-Ohio Racetrack looks like it offers classes and is only an hour drive away from me.

1 Like