Help with parasitic battery drain. 05 Ford Freestar

14 days at 0.15 amps would be around 50 amp-hours. I’ve always heard a typical car battery can still crank the engine until about 35 amp hours from a fully charged state. But you say your Lincoln cranks fine after sitting for 2 weeks or longer? hmm … well either I’m misinformed on the 35 amp hour thing, or the newer types of batteries have better specs. I guess a Lincoln has a physically bigger battery than would a Corolla, maybe that is part of the reason too.

It could be battery size. It’s big enough to power a small submarine… :smiley:

I did discover a few apps that will automatically take a cell-phone photo at given time intervals. So in a pinch a person could monitor an amp meter overnight using that method.

Mystery solved.

First I would like to thank everyone for taking their time to add to my post

I finally took the van down to my local parts store and they put their Carbon pile battery tester on it. It had one bad cell.

I had been relying on the fact that it held a charge enough to start the engine easily after 24 hours, and my charger that is supposed to detect a dead cell in a battery and that the battery always showed at least 12.8 volts with the engine off.

I had figured wrong that above 12.5 volts and the ease that it did start in this frigid weather that it couldn’t be the battery, and that stupid battery tester.

I guess that this proves that I need another tool. As good excuse as any!!!

Well I had learned something…that a plus.

Thank you again,

Yosemite

Thanks for posting the result Yosemite, interesting. & glad you are back to a reliable ride.

I second GSJ’s remarks. You gave us all an important reminder that batteries can fail without it being detectible by measuring voltages…and that that testing tool is commonly used at parts places, at no cost to the customer. I won’t say no cost, no obligation. So have your battery tested at a place where you would be pleased to buy a new battery.

I don’t know if this applies or not but there is a youtube on the service bulletin involving water dripping on the PCM and causing a number of problems.

I have had two elusive battery drains that I found by accident. I had one Riviera that the battery was going dead on and couldn’t figure it out. Went out to the garage one night and the interior lights were on. Had one of those features that turned lights on when you pushed the button on the door handle. Disconnected that and all was fine.

On another Riviera, I couldn’t find the drain and then all of a sudden the test light went bright. Turned out to be the electronic level control module. Both were intermittent and you just had to be there at the right time.

Ding, Ding, Ding! We Have A Winner!
common sense answer
January 19
"@Yosemite
I Realize That 2 Batteries Were Tried (One Is “Known Good Battery”) And I Understand That Good Voltage Is Indicated.
However, I would charge up a battery and load test it or have it load tested before I went on a hunt for phantoms. Once the battery passes the test then proceed with that."
CSA

Even a blind squirrel gets an acorn every once in while!

Good call @“common sense answer” !

@GeorgeSanJose
Thanks George. I Thought Of This Because I’m Sure I’ve Gone Down This Road A Time Or Two.

Years ago, I had a flight instructor who kept telling me, “You can’t make a good landing from a bad approach.” This applies to more than flying. One must be cognizant of one’s approach.

CSA

Good analogy CSA. One time I took a golf lesson, and the instructor took one look at me, even before I’d even had one swing, and said "George, there’s a lot of rules in golf, but you are still allowed to aim. … lol

Thanks for the update @Yosemite. Glad you found the problem, and that trouble would have made me shake my head also. If you still have a .18 amp current draw I have to think something is still wrong. That amount of current draw is excessive.

That is one thing that still concerns me and plan to check that out tomorrow when the car is not being used.

It did start without a jump the last two mornings.

Plus now I’ll have to have that boat battery tested. I thought it was newer, but when I looked up the receipt yesterday, it shows it’s 4 years old this coming spring.

Yosemite

Every car battery I’ve replaced over the past several years has been from failed cells. When I encounter hard starting in our fleet, I remove the battery and take it to the closest auto parts store for a test. I even had this problem with two new batteries, the first replacing a bad battery and the second replacing the first new one that failed within a month of purchase. Both bad new batteries were Bosch FWIW. The third battery was also Bosch and it functioned until we got rid of the car.

Also, This Time Of Year In My Neck Of The Woods…

One has to keep in mind that a discharged battery will freeze. I suppose the weakest of 6 cells freezes first. A frozen battery will not charge. It needs to cozy up to the fireplace for a while, first.

CSA

If I suspect a bad battery I’ll pop open all 6 of the re-fill lids and measure the voltage of each adjacent pair, just by poking the meter leads down in the battery fluid. At one end you have to measure between the post and the cell. So you end up with 6 measurements. They should all measure about 2-2.1 volts. This should be done first thing in the am, after it sits overnight, and before the car has been driven. Standard precautions when working w/battery acid apply. Be sure to rinse of your meter leads, otherwise they might be a tad shorter next time you use them … lol …

Never heard of that before. So which post, + or - does the meter lead go on?

You have to use one post at the start and the other at the end of tests.

I kind of feel a little foolish about this problem.
I should have not wasted so much time in the beginning and just taken the battery down to be tested. I was so sure that the boat battery was good, I convinced myself that there must be something wrong other than the battery.

The 30 minutes it would have taken to drive the round trip to have it tested would have saved me hours of trying to diagnose a different cause.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Yosemite

@Yosemite
I kind of feel a little foolish about this problem.

I’ve been there, done that, "bought the t-shirt."
That’s why I made the suggestion :wink:

"I kind of feel a little foolish about this problem."
Don’t feel bad. You gave a good refresher course to a bunch of diagnosticians. :neutral:

CSA