HELP! Rear tires making a metal dragging noise/ grinding. NEW BRAKES AND DRUMS

How can I send it to you ? The website will not allow the upload

okay im trying it now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak34zVDwREP6aiGuf62YaDyI3Tg

This is happening when i break or pull ebreak. car doesnā€™t stop right away.

I can hear itā€¦sounds like rusty drums, but that canā€™t be it. Can you pull the rear wheels and have a lookā€¦post a picture?

that is what i thought , but they are brand new. I think Iā€™m gonna replace them just in case they are defective .Sure, I will pull them off tomorrow and change the drum.

Just curious, you had silent brakes before, why did you replace the drums the first time?

Yes, silent. my car has never made a peep in 5 years. once the brakes were changed i started having all of these noises.
-plus i have replaced the brakes twice thinking it was defective. the mechanic sanded down the sides of the pads and it stopped making a noise when i drive, just when i stop and pull the ebrake.

My gut says you need factory shoes.

I hope not. The store said these brakes are fully compatible with my car. Iā€™m getting a second opinion tomorrow as well .

So which is it?

Brake pads? Or brake shoes?

Tester

the rear, so shoes. my apologies

Final comment tonightā€¦a local mechanic (who owns two shops that are always busy) refuses to use anything but factory pads and shoesā€¦this eliminated ā€œcomebacksā€ from complaining customers.

1 Like

Okay. Thank you for all of your help <3

Okay, I can confirm that is what it sounds like after I do a brake job on my car. It sounds to me like metallic brake shoes pressing against the metal drums, not really what Iā€™d call ā€œgrinding.ā€ I get this whether I do the brake job myself or farm it out.

The only solution I can recommend, other than ignoring it or turning up the radio until it goes away, is to ask your mechanic to see if he can find softer more expensive brake shoes (like the OEM brake shoes mentioned above), but even thatā€™s not a guaranteed fix.

Iā€™m sorry to say my advice is to live with it. It will eventually go away, and since most of the braking is done in the front, so it should be a long time before you have to do the rear brakes again.

Oh, wait, I do have one more piece of advice: Do a front brake job. Maybe, with thick new brake pads installed in the front, the rear brakes will do less work, so youā€™ll hear less scraping noise. If the cost of the job is an issue, see if you can get a friend to just swap out the pads without installing new rotors.

The store said these brakes are fully compatible with my car.

There, I fixed for you.

The front brakes are new as well. Believe me i wouldnā€™t care as much for the sound if the emergency brake actually stopped my car. thats the concern now. I will record the sound it makes when i break not e brake.

Iā€™ve only installed aftermarket brake components that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications.

And in all the years Iā€™ve serviced brakes, Iā€™ve never had a comeback.

After all, the OEMā€™s donā€™t make the brake components that are installed in their vehicles.

They purchase those components from a vendor/supplier.

Tester

1 Like

HA! thank you. I didnā€™t even notice!

Okay. I will order original brakes to see if the issue is resolved. i have an infant in the car with me at all times. so i just want to be positive .

That is not really an emergency brake, it might slow the vehicle but it is a parking brake.