Have you ever been in a car chase?

I like it when punks get a taste of their own medicine for a change . . .

No car chases for me, but I’ll tell the story my dad told me. As all stories dad’s tell, this is probably slightly exaggerated. He said when he was a teenager (in the 1930’s) he lived in a small rural town and had a souped-up Model A. He and his friends, when they’d see the local constable, they would purposely run a stop sign or something, trying to get the constable to chase them. They knew the Model A car would be the faster. They’d be chased around town for a while, constable’s siren blaring, then when they were tired of being chased they’d pull into the local car repair garage, and the attendant was a friend of theirs who knew what was going on, so he’d pull the door down to hide the car. They’d laugh while watching from inside the garage as the constable drove by looking for them.

One time I asked his why the constable didn’t stop his car later, the next time he came to town. After all, the constable knew everybody in town. His explanation was that the constable enjoyed the chases!

Meany, I loved the story, but actions like those often have far different and far more tragic endings. I’m glad everyone is okay.

I will admit, however, that I as well have had those “moments”. I guess we all have.

I woulda left Dave’s behind right there on the road to deal with the biker.

That could be a new thread: "Have you ever had to put out a passenger and leave them?"
Me: yes

@circuitsmith, while I have not put anyone out, yet, I have gotten out myself and walked a couple of times to avoid dying with the dangerous driver. I once was riding on the back of a friends motor bike . he was giving me a ride home and thought it would be funny to go full speed on a twisting country road. on the first straight away I beat on his helmet til he stopped, and walked the last couple of miles

The only problem is, I wouldn’t emulate this behavior. Anyone could have a firearm in this day and age and the so called punk who can get one anywhere is just as likely to have one as not. It’s more obvious if you live some states but it’s still true for every state. It makes for a really good story but the ones untold are the encounters that didn’t end that well. You don’t hear about those. They are just statistics.

Huh, now that I think about it, maybe I should have run but instead just stayed on the side of the road waiting for the police to come back. When he took off and told me to stay there, maybe he really wanted me to leave and was giving me the chance? I’ll never know I guess 50 years later, but I paid the price.

@circuitsmith‌

I woulda left Dave’s behind right there on the road to deal with the biker.

I really should have… Honestly my cousin and I were hot and tired from working on the shed and just wanted a meal in a nice air conditioned place and we were looking forward to seeing apollo 13. We just wanted to relax and that incident changed the whole mood of the evening.

Dave was a good person, but he was kinda odd and he did the stupidest things sometimes.

Yes, nice to know the punks to get a taste of their own medicine now and then.

About 25 years ago, a pair of punks playing chicken ran me off the road into a ditch when I was driving Mom somewhere in her car. Some good guys who saw it happen, stopped, looked things over, pushed the car out of the ditch and I was able to drive back home. Next day Dad took the car in for repairs. As he had gotten a front end alignment only 10 days earlier, the mechanic wondered how it was so badly out of alignment again and with two front end body bolts sheered and one steering knuckle damaged. Long story short, turns out the same punks had tried that trick a few miles away about 20 minutes after running me off the road and it was that particular mechanic they tried playing chicken with! He was made of sterner stuff than I am; instead he ran the punks off the road, climbed out, yanked the driver out of his car and beat the stuffing out if the punk. Gotta confess, it did my heart good when I heard that.

Side note: my dad was wonderful; when I got home and told him in tears I’d put Mom’s car in a ditch all he wanted to know was if she and I were okay. Never one word of criticism from either Mom or Dad about it.

a guy once ran my sister off the road, and almost into a pond, just for fun apparently. he s lucky we never found out who he was. I m nota vindictive person and seldom hold a grudge, but I had a habit of standing up to bullies back then. I no longer believe in violence and am not able to fight or run anymore anyway. I am even able to keep my rapier like wit in check, mostly. oh and p.s. , be careful how you treat aggressive taigaiters, they can be dangerous, as their driving demonstrates. they also may be packing heat, as I know from personal experience. but its a long story and my typing is weak. I used to slow down enough to give them a chance to pass, and if they declined I would slow down even more to lessen the speed of the potential wreck, and just to irritate them. now I justdeal with it and pull off the road to let them by, if possible. they can be dangerous and don t care if there are women and children in the car

I was driving a tractor trailer, the tractor was a cab over Ford gas job the turned very sharply so the front bumper swept almost sideways.
I was making a right turn at a light and apparently scared an elderly driver waiting at the light on the road I was turning into.
About a mile and a half down the road he passed me and cut in front of me, forcing me to either stop or hit him.
He rolled down his passenger side window leaned way over to the right and yelled up at me “you almost hit me back there” To which I replied, It was darn sporting of you to come all this way to give me another chance !

lol … your story reminds me of a neighbor I had years ago. If someone honked at him b/c he wasn’t quick enough on the pedal leaving from a stop light, he’d turn the car off, turn the flashers on, and walk around the car 5 or 6 times, looking underneath, on top, etc. Then after a few minutes he’d go back to the honker and ask if they had heard anything unusual as his car was making a sound he hadn’t heard before …

Back in the hippie days I had long blonde curly hair that enlightened me to sexism and krass behavior at gas stations until I took my helmet off and I guess dudes want to have nothing to do with anyone with a mustache.

So there we were cruising the interstate in KY, buddy on his Norton and me on my triumph when out of somewhere 6 or 8 small cc bikes start tailing us and then started to pass us, and try and box us in, I do not know why. Now maybe the aforementioned information was part of the interest. Well this little band of hoodlums with black leather jackets of a motorcycle group called Los Mosquitos was nothing we cared to see what’s up, so hit full throttle and lost them as our max speed, maybe 90 mph? was enough to leave them behind.