Good first car

Do you have the tools you need to work on the car? It can cost several hundred dollars to get the basic tools you need to work on your car. Also, check for pedal wear that is consistent with 48,000 miles. If the pedals are badly worn, there are a lot more than 48,000 miles on the Vette. Barely worn pedals are also a red light, indicating they have been replaced.

Enzo, you seem determined to drive a fancy sports car that will drain every last penny from your budget. I don’t recommend living by this philosophy, but if you must the 'Vette (if it’s in decent shape) will have one distinct advantage; parts. Most of the parts you’ll need to keep this safe and running will be available affordably.

But, as with any used car, have this checked out thoroughly. A mistake could quickly drain huge amounts of cash from your wallet and leave you penniless AND without wheels. Remember that the ''Vette, as with all old fiberglass bodied cars, can look great on the ground but be hiding serious rot and wear under the skin. Don’te be fooled by the looks.

Enzo, I tend to agree with the others that the more exotic cars on your list should be avoided; You should definitely go for something more familiar, that most mechanics have worked on before. If sporty is what you’re looking for, might i suggest taking a look at the following cars: a Chevy Camaro or Pontiac Firebird from the late '90s - early '00s; or, perhaps a late-model (no newer than '05 or '06, for your budget’s sake) Dodge Charger; also, even though they’re front-wheel-drive and powered by a V6, an early 2000s Chevy Monte Carlo is a good-looking car, and the V6 has some pretty good power. Remember, it was a NASCAR-modified Monte Carlo that Dale Earnhardt (senior) drove to Victory Lane at the 2000 Daytona 500. I hope my suggestions are helpful to you, and good luck in your search.

Man, everyone’s taking this “kid” at face value.

First off, look at the name:

Enzo.

As in the Ferrari Enzo.

Second, he’s asking about top tier sports cars to be his first vehicle.
But with $10k in his pocket to buy said vehicle.

Troll.

BC.

My troll detector isn’t really going off for this one. What 19 year old red-blooded male is NOT going to at least know about the Enzo?

A Porsche 944 is hardly a top-tier sports car, and can easily be found for less than 10 grand.

The trouble is that you’ll then spend a hell of a lot more than 10 grand maintaining it - something a 19 year old who has never owned a car before may not consider.

To the OP: When you have a budget to buy a used car, never spend the entire budget to buy the car. You’re going to need some cash reserves to fix the stuff that’s going to break in the first 6 months you own it. Many years ago I went out with a budget of $8,000 to buy a second car. I managed to find a 1993 MR2 for $3k. I then spent another $2k replacing the clutch, radiator, radiator support, alternator, battery, and various other things that were wrong with it (which of course is how I got it for 3k in the first place). It was still a hell of a bargain, but I knew going in that I’d be spending more money getting the car up to standards.

If you’re looking for daily transportation, a 1985 Corvette is probably not your best option, although not your worst option. The Benz and Porsches are probably worse. At least the Corvette is fairly easy to work on. If you are looking for something fun to wrench on and drive on the weekends when the car is together, this Corvette could be great for that. If you’re looking for a daily driver that will be reliable and affordable to keep on the road, you would be better off looking elsewhere. I do have a couple of questions that come to mind regarding this potential purchase of this car:

1. Are you very mechanically inclined or have very deep pockets? This Corvette is several years older than you are, meaning in car years, it’s an antique and will need some TLC. Are you prepared to provide that yourself or buy it done if you cannot or will not provide it yourself? I have had cars and trucks that are decades older than me bought on the cheap (always in the three digit territory) and have kept them on the road myself, doing repairs and updates that would easily run well into the thousands if a shop were doing the work.

2. Have you gotten a quote on insurance for this car? If not, doing so will probably change your mind about buying it. Even liability only for a 19 year old (male or female, doesn’t matter, but male will probably be higher) for this car will be through the roof (insurance companies consider it to be a high performance car), and if you take out a loan to purchase the car, the leinholder will require you to also keep collision and comprehensive coverage on the car, which will also be high for a vehicle that is considered collectible, and really high for a 19 year old driver.

As others have said and implied, there is way, way more to buying and owning a vehicle than the purchase price alone. Insurance cost is a huge factor when you are 19 years old and considering an exotic or high performance car.

For all I know, there’s this 19 year old kid who wanted a $10,000 reliable car and started naming Mercedes, Porsches, and Vettes. The S2000 is a similarly respectable machine while being Honda reliable

However, if the kids says there’s only $10,000 in the pocket, and assuming that I care about the well being of that kid, I’d say pull out half that money to get a Miata and replace things that fell off while chasing Corvettes. It’s more interesting to drive a slower car fast than driving an obscenely powerful car on public street.

Do us all a favor and learn to drive before you go buying some RWD sports car. Then, call your insurance company and give them the VINs for the vehicles you’re interested in and get quotes for them