Gmc envoy no overdrive

It is disappointing that none of the people that drove the vehicle could recognize an engine performance problem.

1 Like

Will you replace the catalytic converter, or run a pipe to the muffler?

Cats gone. Ain’t coming back. Pretty sure my L-6 motor envoy had 1 cat. I had to remove it while pulling trans. I did put both back.

Are you also @Overkill1970? How else would you know he won’t put a new catalytic converter in now that he isolated the cause?

1 Like

$129. And it’s legal
$8 pipe. And $799 welder?
Not legal.

That’s not an $8 piece of pipe, which is what the OP used.

He doesn’t need to be. Here’s what the OP had to say:

“Problem solved” would indicate he doesn’t intend to replace the catalytic converter since the vehicle runs and drives normally again.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought too, and I was giving him the opportunity to tell us one way or the other. I don’t like it when people circumvent the law, and I wasn’t going to accuse him outright. It is likely illegal to remove the catalytic converter where he lives.

1 Like

I’m not aware of any place where it’s not illegal to remove the catalytic converter and certainly not in the US. You can remove one that’s not functional but there’s an expectation that you’ll replace it.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for an excuse to post this

2 Likes

Must live in a state where they do no emissions testing to pass inspection . Would be an immediate fail here in NY .

I hope @Overkill1970 replaces the catalytic converter. If his Envoy is checked and there isn’t one, it could cost him a $10,000 fine, plus installation. If he installs a new one, they can’t say that he removed the old one. A few hundred bucks is a lot better than 10 grand.

1 Like

Get this and a couple band clamps and you don’t need welder.

I plan on getting a new Catalytic converter as soon as I can afford to buy one. For now I’m just going to leave it without one. The state doesn’t require emissions test. You can run just about any type of exhaust in Mississippi.

Only if I drive into a state that requires a vehicle to have a Catalytic converter. Here in Mississippi we don’t have any vehicle inspection. Most of the shops won’t cut out the Cat. You have to then tow it to them to have one welded back in.

It is not the states that require Catalytic Converters , it is a Federal law and do you really want to pay a 10000.00 fine if someone turns you in ? Use your credit card and have an independent shop fix this thing or park it . Stop polluting the air .

2 Likes

Good motor. Good trans. Plugged cat. Simple. In hindsight.

A decent shop would have come to that conclusion after a 5 minute test drive while watching scan tool data. This problem should have been diagnosed without ever leaving the driver’s seat or opening the hood. We charge $149 for a check engine light or engine/trans performance diagnosis.

It’s not just the customer’s fault though. There are too many shops out there that aren’t properly tooled or trained for that kind of work but still try to do it. And those shops leave a bad taste with a customer and give all the shops out there a bad name.