GM Daewoo Suzuki Products are JUNK!

The Suzuki Swift used to be the same car as the Geo Metro with a few differences. Keep in mind these are made by SUZUKI and not Daewoo like the others imported by GM and Suzuki. Yes, my Metros are all 5 speeds. The automatic in these is a joke if you ask me. No power and you lose a ton of the mileage which is one of the main appeals of these little guys. You can get a lot better car for the same or not much more money when you get into the autos. They aren’t even the same car if you ask me. The manual is a fun little zippy economical car while the automatic is a total dog. It only has 3 speeds so really starts screaming above 55mph. Besides this it is plenty reliable and there are still lots on the road.

cwatkin: I just remembered my friend’s Swift was a GT so I looked it up. It was actually a 1990 Gti. 100bhp, 4 wheel disc brakes, 14 inch wheels, and independent suspension. Not surprising that it performed well.

Yes, those little cars are sought after by the Geo Metro/Swift enthusiasts. This uses a DOHC 4 cylinder engine which is a variant of the SOHC version used in all the other 4 cylinder cars. Yes, it is quite peppy. The only downside is that engine is interference while all the 3 and 4 cylinder SOHC versions are not. These are all belt driven but the belt can be changed in a couple hours if you are slow. They are super easy to work on.

There is also a Chevy Sprint Turbo that was along the same lines. That came just before the Metro but looks a little more square and angular kinda like a Ford Festiva. It was also a Suzuki product and is sought after by enthusiasts of cars like this. I understand the head was a little different and slightly more problematic so they ended up going with a more conservative design in the Metro. Either way, they were neat little cars too and still have a following like the Swift Gti you mention.

There was also a Pontiac Firefly Turbo in Canada. This was the same 3 cylinder engine used in the Metro except turbo! It was another inexpensive little rocket!

It is too bad Suzuki killed themselves off in the US auto market by selling rebadged Daewoo stuff as they made some fun little cars that were inexpensive and reliable if you took care of them. The problem with cheap cars is that many treat them as disposable so a lot die an untimely death.

Doncha’ just love - whenever someone starts talking up a car like this, or, more often, when someone starts talking up an electric car, you always get someone chiming in with some variation of, ". . . well, I need to transport a half-dozen lumberjacks over the Rocky Mountains every other weekend, and I don’t think this is a nice car at all . . . " :lol:

Agree about the ‘Smart’ car tho. . . if it got 60+mpg and could be had for under $10k I’d take a whirl on one for commuting to work, but much much much better cars can be had for the same money and mpg.

" The roads where I live might as well be in a third world country if you ask me." - Well the USA is well on the way to becoming a third world country. Politicians from both major parties claim that our best days are ahead of us, but human greed and short-sightedness aren’t going to change. I prefer to be pragmatic and look at the world around me the way it IS and not the way I wish it were. Sad but true. :frowning:

If your girlfriend had a (1988-1993 series) Ford Festiva and regards it fondly, she sounds like a keeper to me. Most of the women I’ve met have looked down their nose at my Festiva - just as well - I’d rather be single than buy an expensive car to impress a woman. The kind of woman who requires a high-end car will also require expensive clothes, jewelry, handbags, and on and on it goes. :blush:

Of course, now that I think of it, most of my male colleagues have the same attitude: The only car worth buying is the absolutely most expensive one on the lot that you can get financing for. I guess that’s why I come here for intelligent conversation :tongue:

My nearest Mitsubishi dealer is in the same zip code as me, it turns out. They’ve got a bunch of “new” 2015 Mirages listed at $9,986. plus destination, plus $300 dealer processing fee, plus tax, tags, title, and other fees as allowed by law, includes college grad, owner loyalty, and military discounts that you “may” not qualify for. . . . . . In other words, $15,000 give or take. Still about $4,000 less than I was planning to spend for a Honda Fit. Near as I can tell, the only thing I would want that isn’t on the base trim is cruise control. Otherwise, I PREFER urethane to leather steering wheel, steel rims to alloy, etc. I’ll be sure to check it out when I go to the auto show, where I can get a close-up look see without some gluey salesman haranguing me. :smile:

P.S.- Is there not a “2016” model year Mirage? I only see “2015” referred to. Nevermind, the link answered my question, there is no 2016 Mirage, it will be re-introduced as a 2017 model.

“The small car I have never understood is the Smart car.”

Like the OP, I have also never understood the appeal of the Smart Car. In fact, it has traditionally been Consumer Reports’ bottom-rated subcompact.

However, Mercedes recently redesigned the Smart For Two, and in their latest issue, CR has acknowledged some improvements and has bumped it up to the next-to-last position in their rating of subcompacts. The bottom-rated subcompact is now the Mitsubishi Mirage, with a very low rating of 29 points out of a possible total of 100 pts. The redesigned Smart garnered 41 points.

For comparison’s sake, the top-rated Honda Fit was awarded 67 points.
However, the Fit is priced ~$3k more than a Mirage.
If you want to compare similarly-priced cars, the Hyundai Accent, which lists for the exact same price as the Mirage, scored 65 points, and was in third place. The Mirage was placed in the 11th and last position in this category.

Back in April, 2015, CR had this to say about the Mirage:
“…seems like an act of desperation, dressing a primitive Asia-market car with some upscale toys and calling it a day. Good points include a relatively absorbent ride, terrific 37 mpg fuel economy, and an accommodating rear seat…However, the weak, vibrating, and incredibly noisy three cylinder engine provides sluggish acceleration, handling is so clumsy that it’s disconcerting, and the cabin is depressingly low-rent. Further lowering its standing is its POOR score in the IIHS Small Overlap Crash Test.”

In the annual Buying Guide, published in December, 2015, CR summarized its high points as:
Fuel economy, turning circle, relatively roomy back seat, hatchback versatility, and feature content.
The low points were stated as: Poor IIHS crash test results, handling, noise, vibration, acceleration. Additionally, they stated that the Mirage “feels cheap and insubstantial”.

For your girlfriend’s sake, I hope that Mitsubishi does remain in the US marketplace, but what I wonder about is…How can they do this with the mediocre–at best–vehicles in dealer’s showrooms? Mitsu’s total line-up in the US marketplace consists of:

The Lancer, which CR characterized as “insubstantial and unimpressive”.
While the Lancer EVO was definitely impressive, Mitsu has dropped that model, leaving only the low-rent Lancer models for their US customers.
The Mirage–which I will refrain from beating up again.
The Outlander, which CR tested recently, and nicknamed the “Outdated”.
To quote them again, they said, “If it was 1996, this would be a great SUV. But today, it’s just plain behind the times”
The Outlander Sport. Without going into a litany of its shortcomings, CR’s summary was “Scored too low in our tests to recommend”.

If Mitsubishi can manage to bring a new–and very competitive–model to the US marketplace, then I think that they have a chance of surviving in this environment. However, if the above models are all that they can market in the US, I can’t imagine that they will be able to stay here much longer.

I sincerely hope that your girlfriend has a good experience with her Mirage, but I have to say that I am not optimistic about the long-term prospects for the company in the US marketplace.

The Lancer Evo was a neat car. It was one of the rally cars of choice for a while. I knew they were discontinuing this in the US which is too bad.

I am sure that any small car isn’t going to fare as well in a crash as a large car. That has always been the case but I would assume the safety is infinitely better than many of the economy cars of old. The Geo Metro, the Festiva, etc. My Geos don’t even have antilock brakes or airbags. I know the safety cage is a joke in the 1994 and older cars (mine are). It is interesting that the 1995 was actually a pretty safe car for its time. I am sure the standards have changed and it isn’t anywhere near what you could get these days.

The Mirage does have a noisier engine than I would have expected. 3 cylinders are notoriously unbalanced though. I will say that this one idles like a dream so they must have balanced it better than in the Metro. You don’t really notice it running at idle but it is at least as noisy as the Metro upon acceleration. I don’t find it to be a weak engine, especially in the manual transmission which is all we drove. I pulled some pretty large hills on the interstate in 5th gear without lugging it or slowing down at all. The “Eco” or “Econ” light which stays on as long as you aren’t pushing it never went off. I guess when you floor it, the computer changes the tuning of the car and this light goes off as it is burning more gas. There are plenty of 4 cylinder automatic cars I have driven with A LOT less power than this one.

The 2014 was supposed to have really sloppy suspension. They improved that in 2015 and are said to be stiffening it up considerably in 2017. Do you know if the car reviewed was a 2014 or 15? I find it funny how all the professional reviews list this as a terrible car yet all those who drive them speak pretty highly of them. Why is this?

It seems they are at least trying with this one. The variable valve timing produces a nice torque curve, they are improving the engine next year with roller lifters and a better cam, and are stiffening the suspension. The engine also uses a timing chain. I don’t hate belts but you know a DOHC engine like this will be interference.

I find it interesting that the folks on the Metro and Mirage forums trash on the Versa so much. It must be a real dog from what they say and doesn’t hold up well. I have seen this comment before but someone mentioned “It must be pretty bad when people on a Geo Metro forum are trashing on another car make.” This same comment has come up several times about Chrysler in general.

I have seen plenty more unreliable makes/models. The Chrysler 2.7L based cars come to mind of course as does Chrysler in general. How about the Daewoo models that started this off? How about some some of the junk that almost all the other car makers have come up with? The Ford 2.0 Split Port also comes to mind.

I am not saying this is the best car around but it is certainly a lot better than what came before it.

Had bad experience with the Ford 2.0 , So the Versa is really that bad ? (I didnt think much of them dumbing down the 1.6 ) I dont buy cars now that offer less for more (a well equipped Versa Note costs a pretty Penny too )For the little extra ,I would go with a Fit (not have one -that is )
Everybody can certainly improve their wares ,it seems around here , the Kias are becoming real popular with good service .
Two of the "Big Three " will probably never sell me a car again , havent tried GM yet (whoops ,let the cat out of the bag ) The dealers around here are enough to turn anyone off .
Go figure though ,they have excellent service depts .

“I am sure that any small car isn’t going to fare as well in a crash as a large car. That has always been the case.”

While it is true that a large car (if it is properly-designed) is going to fare better in a collision than a small car, the reality of the situation is that some of the subcompacts are much better at protecting their occupants than others.

In the subcompact category, the following models failed the IIHS small-overlap frontal crash test:
Fiat 500
Hyundai Accent
Mitsubishi Mirage
Nissan Versa

The following models passed that same test:
Chevrolet Sonic
Chevrolet Spark
Ford Fiesta
Honda Fit
Kia Rio
Nissan Versa Note
Toyota Yaris

“Do you know if the car reviewed was a 2014 or 15?”

It was a 2015 Mirage.

“I find it interesting that the folks on the Metro and Mirage forums trash on the Versa so much. It must be a real dog from what they say and doesn’t hold up well”

Although it rates better than the Mirage, the Nissan Versa is not a well-regarded car. The Nissan Versa Note (a newer model) is considered to be much better in terms of driving dynamics, but it probably has about the same reliability rating as the original Versa. CR characterizes the reliability of both Versa models as “average”.

I’ve rented Versas several times, and they drive OK. I would not buy one, however due to the Renault engineering and the CVT transmission. It’s not likely to be a long lived car.

I would definitely get a manual in the Versa. I hear the CVTs have been an issue. You see a TON of these cars on the road and it must be because they are cheap.

The thing I find interesting about the Mirage is the only real complaint I have with it is that the engine is noisier than other subcompacts. Sure, the interior isn’t plush but not everyone is looking for that. I didn’t find the driveability to have any issues at all. It had plenty of power and the handling was more than adequate.

Also, how many here have actually test driven one of these little cars?

I don’t see the Dodge Dart on the list above. That was another car that the Geo and Mirage people trashed on. I guess there are some reliability issues but I didn’t do any personal research as I am not a Chrysler guy and again, anything being trashed on by enthusiasts of the Metro or Mirage isn’t likely going to be a good car.

“I don’t see the Dodge Dart on the list above”

The Dart is a “compact” car.
Your Mirage and the others listed above are sub-compacts.

I also think it’s quite insulting when a manufacturer decides to “dumb down” a vehicle

Such as when GM decided to cheap out and start using rear brake drums on their 1/2 ton trucks . . . AFTER using rear rotors for several years on those same 1/2 ton trucks

I’m not exactly sure which model it is, but I know Hyundai dumbed down the rear suspension on one of their vehicles. Elantra, perhaps. They went from fully independent rear suspension to semi-independent. That’s a step in the wrong direction

What is the rationale?

Save money?

People not buying top-of-the-line don’t deserve the better technology?

The old technology works just fine, so let’s bring it back?

The customer can’t appreciate the high technology, so why equip the cars with it?

Gotcha on the Dart. I would have assumed this was a subcompact but didn’t ever give it a close look. The Kia Rio seemed quite large for a subcompact and was surprised to see it rated as such. The older Rios were a lot smaller if you ask me. I didn’t think the Rio was a bad car but she wanted a smaller subcompact. They were about the same price and I am sure the Kia would have a better resale but she plans to keep it a long time so that isn’t as important.

The Kia dealer also seemed shady and very high pressure. This location is known for this and I know quite a few people who drive 100 miles to any of the next 3 dealers to get one, rather than deal with the local dealer. The cars are good but the dealer isn’t. The Kia has a great warranty but actually not quite as good as the Mitsubishi which I was surprised about.

The thing I don’t get about the ratings for the Mirage is how all the consumers seem to be giving it a 4.5 to 4.7 star rating while the professional reviewers are giving it a 1 star. It also has the best owner loyalty of the non-premium subcompact category. See http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mitsubishi-mirage-recognized-by-ihs-automotive-for-continued-model-loyalty-300206385.html and http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/mirage/2015/review/ I have only seen two car sites give this a fair review. Sure, it isn’t for everyone but it seems to be a basic reliable car and that is what many people want. I certainly think a person should drive one before writing it off as junk based on the reviews.

Personally my biggest concern is the long term presence of the company and the safety rating which is bad on all tests. The place that said it got 37 mpg is wrong. It gets 37 in the city but on the highway, it really gets up there. We have gotten 48-50mpg. Others claim to be able to get 52 or even better.

She loves the car and is happy with the choice. It is just what she wanted. She always liked the looks of the Versa but told her I heard too many negatives to consider that one. Yes, those negative reports came from others with Geo Metros and Mirages so kinda figured this wasn’t a car worth even looking at.

Yeah, @cwatkin , I AM one of those people who don’t need / require “plush”. One of those links you provided a few pages back contained a video clip of the Mirage’s 3 cylinder engine. It sounded like my Mom’s Singer sewing machine, literally. I’ll give it a look-see though, thanks for the heads-up. I probably won’t be doing any test drives until the winter weather is over, though. 48+ mpg for a non-hybrid really gets MY attention, anyway. In a few years, when gas prices skyrocket again, guys like us will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Years ago I would have shrugged off the mediocre crash test ratings; as I get older, I pay more attention to details like that though. That’s why its so great when you can take your time making big decisions like these. But what’re ya gonna do? I guess you can’t have it all.

I can appreciate the obsession of getting 50 MPG from a dime store automobile but there must be more to life than this. This may be ideal for someone in their twenties. My old Dodge consumes 4.5 gallons of gasoline a week and I don’t have to tolerate the shortcomings of a Metro type vehicle. For a few dollars more in fuel I could be driving a Challenger but I think I’ll wait and buy a used Viper instead.

@Nevada_545
"I can appreciate the obsession of getting 50 MPG from a dime store automobile but there must be more to life than this."

I agree completely. Fuel economy is way down on my list of considerations when buying a car. I could never enjoy driving a dime store automobile.
CSA

“I can appreciate the obsession of getting 50 MPG from a dime store automobile but there must be more to life than this.”

Like CSA, I agree, but–then again–we live are privileged to live in a country where most people are much more financially-secure than people in far less developed nations. The bottom line is that the Mitsubishi Mirage was designed for use by people in Third World countries, where an extremely basic car with few amenities or comforts–but with very good gas mileage–is an appealing concept.

Its design–as a vehicle for The Third World–is why the Mirage rates so poorly with most car magazines in this country. Simply hanging a few extra accessories on a car such as this does not make it acceptable to most people in a developed nation.

Yes, there is a small segment of the population in The US that may think a car like this is ideal, but I seriously doubt if there are enough of those people for Mitsubishi to be able to sell enough cars to be really successful in this marketplace. As I stated earlier, unless Mitsu can begin marketing vehicles in The US that are up-to-date, and that appeal to the bulk of this country’s consumers, they will not be able to exist much longer in our marketplace.

Has anyone here bashing on these cars actually driven one? That is one question I have before anyone jumps to conclusions based on reviews.

Why do the consumers give it very good reviews while the experts pan it as a piece of junk? Why are there people picking this car over something like the better-rated Kia Rio and others that cost essentially the same exact price? Why does it have the best non-luxury subcompact loyalty 2 years in a row? Again, it might not be the best car in the world but it certainly isn’t bad either.

I will say I never drove the CVT/automatic version so maybe it is a sluggish dog like they say in the reviews. I don’t know but the 5 speed is smooth, easy to shift, and has plenty of power. I know the CVT actually gets slightly better mileage but figured that the durability of a tried and true manual would likely be better. Plus autos in inexpensive cars are often lousy in performance and durability. I did look at the forum last night on a thread about people who have relatively high miles (80-100,000+) on their new cars. I saw one issue with the CVT at one point as I was skimming through but none with the manual. Maybe the CVT is a dog (don’t know) but the manual is quite nice to drive and plenty responsive.

Here is an update on my friend’s GM Daewoo Chevy Aveo that had timing belt issues within the past couple days. The idler pulley locked up when the entire timing set had been changed 20k miles ago at the dealer. Apparently this is a common issue second only to complete timing belt failure on these cars according to Car Complaints. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Aveo/ Luckily the belt didn’t snap or jump time and the valves were fine. The plastic pulley was melting to the backside of the belt quite nicely when he shut it off though. He caught it in the nick of time. He replaced it all again himself and all seemed to be well. Now the car is overheating so back to work. I think he is going to sell this one as soon as it is running well again.

Has anyone here bashing on these cars actually driven one?
I can’t! I Wouldn’t Know Where To Find One. I Can’t Promise You I’ve Ever Seen A Mitsubishi Car On The Road.

The extremely week dealer support network for these cars makes the whole issue silly to me.
Besides, why would I want to drive one? I’d never buy such a tiny, unsafe car or recommend one to anybody.
CSA

I see them in my neck of the woods

Please don’t anybody take offense to this, but I only see them in extremely economically depressed areas. They appear to be driven by people who are in financial dire straits.

I can only report what I see