Get rid of the federal fuel tax and the highway trust fund

I can’t trust them with an army if I can’t trust them with a highway budget. We used to have state militias (‘well-regulated’) to defend the country; see the Militia Acts of 1792

The people the voters of NY elected did this. I have friends who live in NY. They tell me they drive on roads, cross rivers on bridges, etc.

Is YOUR state funding MY state’s roads?

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Mississippi is the Greece of the North American Union and my state’s conservative “state’s rights” government feels they are entitled. Imagine that.

At least a few lucky college graduates buried under student loans were able to get “Spatula-Ready” jobs.

And there’s a great sale on at SPATULA CITY.

That 's another government program, student loans, that is driving up the cost of higher education and indebting these poor kids. Who else would let an 18 year-old with no apparent way of repayment (and no concept of money) run up a tab of tens of thousands of dollars?

Now some in our government are pushing for loan forgiveness programs on tax-payer dimes.

But, I’m not going there. I don’t want to start a discussion about all these liberal money-wasting programs which our government chooses to run. Never mind! Ignore this post.
CSA

Student loans driving up cost? Really?

First off…many colleges offer financial aid (aka reduced tuition) for people who really can’t afford it. If you’re income is less then $75k - you get FREE tuition at Harvard (and a few other colleges). Under $150k - and your tuition is HALF. Many colleges offer reduced tuition if you maintain a 3.0 average.

There are plenty of GOOD bargain universities around. State colleges, and many colleges not on the coasts.

The other part of this problem is the outrageous interest rates banks charge for student loans. That’s why most people I know take out a second mortgage. Much lower rates then Student Loans.

Oh, please! Free tuition? Reduced tuition?
Think about it. If it was a good deal for all concerned then the schools could just offer free tuition to everybody.

My kids paid higher tuition rates to make up for these discount rates given to some free-loaders. The money has to come from somewhere. I’m sure some comes from tax payers, too.

They worked several jobs and paid for their education, but some kids just charge it on a student loan.

Free tuition? Free Lunch? Free Beer Tomorrow?
Oh wait, there’s a catch…

As part of federal government requirements, concerning my youngest child, we actually received letters stating that her school lunch prices were going up in consecutive years to make-up for students receiving free and reduced priced lunch!

Probably before your time, but there was a saying, " There’s no such thing as a free lunch." Now, as you’ve pointed out, some people actually believe there is free stuff!
CSA

Student debt is a national disaster. College costs have skyrocketed, pay hasn’t, debt has exploded, compared to other debt, including all car loans (to keep it car-related):

1 Like

Maybe we should hire immigrant professors. Oh wait! Seems like every math teacher I had in college came from Pakistan or India. And the cars they drove were old beaters.
So why does college cost so much?

I know! We could model a Federal Roads Program after the Federal Student Loans Program!

We get everybody in the country and qualify them to take out a roads loan they can’t afford to pay back. Some hard-case folks wouldn’t sign, they’d ride for free.

Then everybody with a loan could organize, make signs, write songs, and storm Washington! The Network News would have our backs!

The loans would be forgiven and… Voila!… better roads for free! Problem solved.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2011/11/23/why-the-government-is-to-blame-for-high-college-costs

“I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”
CSA

My school lunch: a PBJ or bologna sandwich, Oreos, and milk in a thermos.

Who the h…e…double toothpicks can’t afford that???

3 Likes

I’ll take the PBJ and the oreos

Bologna literally disagrees with me. I can’t digest it very well

I’m lactose intolerant, so I’ll skip the milk, as well

What is your alternative plan for funding the maintenance of federal transportation infrastructure?

Saying “get rid of it” is easy, because there is no burden to solve a problem. Proposing an alternative solution isn’t quite so easy.

1 Like

The greatest waste, fraud and abuse that I see here in Mississippi is at the hands of our political leaders and highways are the most obvious. The recent examples are so numerous and so outrageous as to leave me with no good place to start. Federal funds were made available to widen a major bypass including 2 new bridges. The total cost was several $million from the Obama “shovel ready” program but our Governor and Highway Commissioner saw to it that all the signage and announcement gave them credit for the work and to add insult to the deception the vast majority of workers spoke English as a second language, if at all. The motorists of New Jersey and California seemed to have actually paid for the work.

Oh my gosh, I agree with @MikeInNH Not as bad in Minnesota as other places thanks to AAA many years ago, but a lot of funds have been diverted to other uses from roads and bridges. We used to lament that it was not a matter of money but of priorities. After roads and bridges not being a priority for quite a while, it’s time has come. A few years ago, MNDOT attempted to explain where their money went and where it came from but it was such a mess of a document no non-DOT employee could understand it.

Now as far as not paying any tax, I don’t go into a store and expect free merchandise. I have to pay for it and I don’t mind. I do mind though that the funds are used effectively.

Sorry but I haven’t read all the responses yet so forgive me.

So my college daughters car broke down, oil injector plastic guides for timing chain, 4 things,bud could not tell which went first, she wanted to do an unsubsidized loan that starts accruing interest at day one at 9%, she is like I will take care of it

I am like do you know how much that money is going to cost you.

So I wrote a check, new timing chain, guides, oil injector for timing chain, spark plugs coolant and heads refurbished, Was looking at 6k cars like an 09 focus with manual trans, 80k new brakes and front axle and whatever 80k miles, and she wanted to put the money into her grandmothers car she got instead.

$1180 ok by me for o2 saturn with 80k miles.

She is happy I am happy, but feel like I have not properly schooled her on finances.

Hey, @cdaquila, can you help out here? All this uninformed political rating is making me sick.

Well roads and bridges are pretty important to cars and driving. They are also public and paid for by the public which by nature makes them political. Sometimes it just can’t be helped even though it ruffles some feathers.

I almost said something yesterday when it was veering into the school lunch/student loan territory, but opted not to because it appeared it might go back to cars and highways. The temperature of the freeloading discussion wasn’t going anywhere promising, so please try to keep things on topic. Thanks.

Hey Mr @MikeInNH - do you live in NY? I’ve always thought you lived in NH. If you live in NH, what’s the deal with infrastructure funding there? My friends in NY complain about what they don’t like about government but that doesn’t include misappropriation of bonds raised to fund infrastructure.

I live in NM, #2 on the ‘taker’ list to Mr @Rod_Knox 's MS. We have a lot of corruption and incompetent government, but misappropriation of funds dedicated to infrastructure isn’t on the list, even in the false charges Ds and Rs make against each other, much less the real ones. An engineer friend who has managed a couple of these projects doesn’t make this complaint. We sometimes disagree about what’s important - that’s different.

Chain-gangs made up of impressed citizens.

[quote=“Rod_Knox, post:55, topic:101064”]
The total cost was several $million from the Obama “shovel ready” program but our Governor and Highway Commissioner saw to it that all the signage and announcement gave them credit for the work[/quote]
That didn’t add to the cost.

You wanted to pay an additional million?

Can you cite an instance?