Gas-X for my car?

Hey, thanks. I don’t live near the ocean or get a lot of winter road salt, so I am probably safe.
I’ve had the urge to get a new Avalon, but I take a cold shower and the feeling goes away.

I don't live near the ocean or get a lot of winter road salt, so I am probably safe.

You need to live in SNOW country to get a lot of road salt.

“Cars today pollute far far less…have better gas mileage…AND have magnitude FEWER problems then vehicles did 30 years ago. It’s obvious we’re heading in the right direction.”

And you attribute this to gov? I attribute this to the free market.

And you attribute this to gov?

When did I say that?? Show me.

Never said or implied that it’s attributed to the government…HOWEVER…the government NEVER IMPEDED the progress as you suggested.

And you attribute this to gov?

Increased MPG and less pollution had NOTHING to do with free market. That is 100% government.

Do yourself a favor…Do the research. Stop listening to Fox “News” and Rush Limbaugh.

Actually, both contributed. The government required MPG increases, and funded much of the basic research that made advanced auto technology possible. The “free market” also funded a lot of the research, and there has been some competition for better MPG.

The "free market" also funded a lot of the research, and there has been some competition for better MPG.

But that funding wasn’t done until the GOVERNMENT mandated it. Take a look at the Cafe’ numbers. They haven’t changed UNTIL the government changed the requirements. Without the Cafe’ numbers I firmly believe that you couldn’t find a car getting even close to 30mpg.

Although I can’t prove it for obvious reasons, I believe that increased gas prices beginning in the 70’s led to higher gas mileages, because some customers wanted to save money on gas.

…and the same can be said for high gas prices in the early aughts, and the high gas prices in the late aughts…

Yeah, when the price of fuel spikes, suddenly everyone cares about fuel economy. Then when it drops, they go back to not caring. When it spikes again, the blame the oil companies and OPEC for their lack of foresight and planning.

I believe that increased gas prices beginning in the 70's led to higher gas mileages

Your belief doesn’t follow the FACTS. GM/Ford/Chryco and AMC’s cafe’ numbers didn’t increase until AFTER they were mandated. Then the Cafe’ numbers stayed the same for the Big 3 until the government changed them again…If the market was driving mpg then there would NOT have been the need for mandated Cafe’ numbers.

@MikeInNH: “GM/Ford/Chryco and AMC’s cafe’ numbers didn’t increase until AFTER they were mandated.”

…but Datsun, Toyota, and Honda made inroads in the American market by filling the niche left open by GM, Ford, Chrysler, and AMC. When GM, Ford, Chrysler, and AMC failed to capitalize on rising gas prices, they left a big fat slice of the auto market pie open for the Japanese car makers to take with their comparatively small light weight cars.

Just because Detroit wasn’t smart enough to adjust to high fuel prices doesn’t mean the rest of the auto market followed Detroit’s lead.

The Asian invasion vehicles were always building more efficient vehicles. And even with the competition the Big-3 didn’t increase their mpg numbers until after it was mandated.

Right, and the Japanese big three expanded into the American car market with small cars by capitalizing on high fuel prices. The higher fuel prices made Americans more receptive to small Japanese cars, raising the average American’s overall MPGs.

The higher fuel prices made Americans more receptive to small Japanese cars, raising the average American's overall MPGs.

If you look at the Cafe’ numbers that was reported by the manufacturers and the EPA…the Cafe’ numbers didn’t change one bit until the government increased the numbers. The Big started making smaller cars…but didn’t address the gas mileage of the larger vehicles they made until the Cafe’ numbers were unreachable by just making more small cars.