Gas quality

When I was a kid in the late '60s my Grandfather would put $1.00 of gas in his Chevy II and drive from Wash. DC to Stafford county and back, 82 miles round trip.
Route 95 was two lanes each way and had a railroad crossing.

I hear pigs are pretty much out of vogue now,ever hear of “trans fuel”?-Kevin

We are paying at both ends. Oil from easy access OPEC costs about $2 a barrel to extract. Deep sea drilling, $35 per. According to an oil representative when questioned on a Sunday morning news show, when oil price on the market are $45 per barrel, the oil companies don’t need subsidies…and what are they now and who is supporting them ? These prices are NOT recent but at the time oil was still selling for near $100 a barrel. At these prices and with the support we give oil companies, there is little advantage to take any chances and pump inferior products. I would trust Costco gas in general.

I spent some time in Southern Illinois in the early 1960s. I was at a service station when a farmer drove up and his engine was pinging like a marble tournament. I said something to the operator of the station about the car and the reply was that the farmer was running his car on “drip” gas. He apparently had an oil well on his farm and at these oil wells there was always a flame to burn off the byproducts. A bucket was set at a strategic point under the flame and some of the byproduct that was burned off would condense and go into the bucket. Hence, it was called “drip” gas. I think it had an antiknock octane rating of about 1.

They’re just trying to get you to buy a Ford. Nobody trained him to say what he told you. It would make as much sense to get a kindergarten class to vote on where you should buy gasoline. He might want you to buy it from his brother in law.

You’d like to think a high-end, brand-name gas station would put more effort into maintaining their tanks and their pump filters, and you’d like to think all those proprietary additives make a difference but … you just never know. I have heard lots of anecdotal evidence and urban legends but no hard conclusive evidence that one brand is any better than the others. This is a case where you just do whatever seems best. Good luck.