Fusion Hybrid 2013 - Getting only 20 MPG after Service

that’s pretty interesting about they hybrid performance in cold weather. i didn’t realize there could be that big of a difference in performance. is anyone else seeing this kind of drop in mpg during winter times for their hybrids?

small update: i re-filled my 13.5 gallon tank from when the “empty light” came on, and I was only able to put in 10.5 gallons in before the click auto-shutoff… Fuel gauge is reading full. Right now, I’m thinking it’s either something wrong with the fuel gauge indicator or maybe they damaged my gas tank somehow when they changed the fuel pump. I think it’s more than just a gauge mis-reading because my check engine light had came on twice before too. The dealership said that the code they got for the check engine light was “gas vapors detected” or something like that…

My Ford dealership is in Maryland… it’s a suburb environment, not exactly out in the boonies.

A significant fuel saving strategy on a hybrid is for the engine to remain off when the car is stopped, while coasting and driving slow (parking lots). However in cold weather if the heater is turned on the engine must run continuously for the first five minutes or so to generate the requested heat.

There is also the vehicle emissions factor, reaching operating temperature and maintaining catalyst temperature. Cold weather takes its toll on fuel economy.

Since the beginning of this thread you have been dissatisfied with the performance of the new fuel gauge level unit. A replacement fuel pump module usually comes with a fuel level unit. I don’t know if the results are character of the new unit or an effect of poor installation. The repeated evaporative emission leaks don’t weigh in favor of the shop. A conversation about the fuel gauge and not the fuel economy may result in an answer or solution.

Your instrument cluster shows 40.8 MPG. You should reset the overall fuel economy reading more often. When a tech views this with a poor fuel economy complaint the car goes in the front door and out the back. People complain about fuel economy every day and it is mostly personal driving behavior the affects fuel economy. Some will expect 45 MPG and compian about 41 MPG but it is usually the driver or the environment that is to blame.

I think they messed up the float in your tank. Take it back and tell them to fix it. They changed your fuel pump and now your gauge can not be trusted. Luckily it is telling you that you are low when you are not. If it was the other way, you would be sitting on the side of the road.

Nothing wrong, the ‘empty light’ will come on long before the tank is dry, they don’t want you stranded.

So how many miles for that 10.5 gallons? You need to be recording the odometer at every fill, right?

I’d rather the fuel light came on with 3 gallons left than with 3cups left.

We had an unusual cold stretch, I average 14 to 16 mpg n the winter and now was 11 to 13.My first thought, after getting a new idler pulley and the porter used the parking brake, check the parking brake. All wheelsfreewheeling, no sticking brake or calipers.Seafoam did not help mileage. Just gong to let it go for now, no lights, but my guy recommended a tank of Mobil Premium, cut off a 1 foot section on block heater cord and it seems to be working again, gotta pick up mom on Mon to release her from the care facility and a car no start would be a major problem as it is supposed to be 5 below. Had my first no start on wed, cranked well,but sounded like trying to start on 1 cyl, and fail. Heet, jumper cables and starting fluid in the intake after the air filter. Running good, no error code, starting fluid seemed worthless.

Recap It just might be the fluke of the universe. I hope to heck the car starts mon. am