Fuel types

I had the same issue / decision with my 2006 Nissan Maxima. I ran regular for 90k, but now she screams for premium. People like me are not necessarily obtuse, just frugal. It costs .40-.50 more per gallon where I live for premium. Then you wonder, are you really getting that much better gas or ripped off! Between the additional cost and the mystery why higher octane costs so much more really adds up (in your penny-pinching head)! The good news about my car was premium was recommended, not required. Not being a mechanic, I’d go with the majority on this one… but I feel the pain of the questioner!

Sorry I don’t feel the pain. He/she wanted a “premium” car, well he/she got it, now just doesn’t want the “premiums” that come with it. I can’t wait to hear how he/she intends to deal with the first non-warranty repair.

"I can't wait to hear how he/she intends to deal with the first non-warranty repair." ...or the first time that he is handed the bill for an oil change using full-synthetic, European-spec motor oil, coupled with an OEM Mercedes oil filter.

For about the same price the OP could have gotten a fully loaded 2015 Camry XLE V6. But couldn’t tell everyone they have a Mercedes- Benz. :wink:

My guess that this sort of behavior can be best explained by somebody 1) buying too much car on credit and 2) desperately scrounging for places to save a buck or two to avoid repo!

It’s times like these that I’m glad I’m a cheap bastard!

@meanjoe75fan, you’re not cheap. You’re thrifty… :smiley:

Thank you for your kind words!
(Uh, I see the second part is a matter of public record… :wink:

My wife accuses me of being cheap too. I consider it being thrifty, frugal, economical, or cost conscious…

She bought me some new tee shirts back in 1976 and it grates on her to no end that I still have one of them in a hanger in my closet. Most of it has evaporated due to wear and washings which has made it thinner than a Kleenex.
When she asked me why I don’t throw that thing out I always tell her that it’s an heirloom to be kept in the family and cherished for eternity…plus it irritates you.

@ok4450 I’m in somewhat the same boat! Most T shirt and socks are cotton an polyester. The cotton will wear away and the polyester will still hold it together. We agreed on a test; if I can read the time on my watch while holding it INSIDE and reading it outside the shirt, it’s time to chuck it. Same for the socks.

They make good grease cloths when working in my garage.

But you might look odd in those bell bottom pants in avocado green with orange trim!

She bought me some new tee shirts back in 1976

There’s no way I could fit in a shirt from 10 years ago, much less longer. Those are used for rags in the garage.

I did recently take the laundry service at work to task for their inconsistent sizing. I used to be able to wear a 36 inch waist with room to spare. Now I’m busting out of a 40.

@asemaster Our laundry service is no better

One day, my “clean” shirt was dirtier than the one I just threw in the dirty bin

A few months back, I burned a hole in my pants, when I was using the die grinder to shear off some ball joint rivets. The sparks caused my pants to catch fire! Those cheap bums decided to patch the gaping hole, instead of condemning it and issuing me a new set of pants

I can’t even begin to count the number of shirts with buttons missing

Another time I was walking around all day, with busted zippers on my pants. All day long, the barn door was open, and everybody was too kind to point it out for me. I only noticed it at the end of the day, when I was changing my clothes.

There are also plenty of pants with no buttons. If not for my belt, the pants would just drop to the ground. The belt is only thing holding them up

One day, I’m going to be wearing a dirty “clean” shirt with missing buttons, pants with huge patches, no button, and busted zippers

LOL, I’ve worn that! It beats the heck out of a suit and tie! {:smiley:

jr4488, you can mix regular and premium to see how your car runs on different mixtures. You can also the products that claim to remove carbon. In the old carbureted days we used to use water poured into the carb from a pinched paper cup.

This is an old laundry story told to me by a US diplomat in Brazil. His wife used a nearby laundry which had a 4 day service, which appeared somewhat long to her. She also noticed her husband’s good dress shirts were wearing out rather fast!

After some investigation she found the laundry also rented out shirts and apparently used her husband’s for this purpose, hence the long turnaround time.