Fuel pumps/ empty gas tanks

No argument here, it is best to keep gas in the car. The times I don’t keep her gassed up are the times money is short. I could claim I am a poor student or I could claim Disability does not pay much (something I am working to get off but school goes until the end of the Spring 2013 semester). That will make it over 5 years for my “2 year degree”. Or I could admit that I need to stick to my budget, I am always buying learning material for school (tutorial DVD’s, they are expensive).

What my real goal was, was to downplay any type of “guaranteed you will damage the pump” information.

I am sure there is a message here (why would you write if there was not?)Perhaps the message is directed towards me,perhaps not. I can say, I don’t get it.

There are no absolutes. You might routinely run the tank low and never have a pump failure, just as you might routinely race dirt bikes and never crash. In both cases you’re “playing the odds”. The only guarantee is that if you maintain a reasonable level of gas in your tank the pump will not fail due to routinely running with low gas.

Well, you did say “There’s no ‘downside’ to keeping the top half full. Only ‘upsides’.” I consider having to stop at the gas station nearly twice as often to be a downside. I don’t know who wouldn’t. Someone with a bladder problem maybe, or an addiction to disgusting gas station hot dogs…

jt1979, you’re correct, I did say that. And I have to admit that my bladder isn’t what it used to be.

The hot dogs are terrible but the Hostess Cupcakes are great!