Fuel Efficiency and Seat Heaters

In exact opposite from this, but related to the known drag of alternator load.

The super avid ( rabid ? ) hyper-miler will turn OFF absolutely everything electical to maximize mpg by reducing the alternator drag to as close to zero as they think possible.
Even going as far as;

• removing light bulbs that aren’t 100% legaly neccessary. ( high brake lamp has 3 bulbs ? take 2 out ! after all, 1 is “legal” ) Brake lights, 1 each. NO interior lights ( hey, the lower the battery is when you start it, the longer the alternator will have a load. )
  • Use the turn signal ONCE to change lanes.
  • Turn OFF the signal if already in the left turn lane. That’s redundant information.
  • no radio
  • no a/c, and if the belt routing can be altered…no a/c belt.

The alternator’s electrical load is real , but you gotta be a real tree hugger to even think about that .091 gph for extra electrical usage.

Moral ?
Don’t even worry about it.

Sure did draw some conversation though.

Nice catch. The best place to have an extra zero is at the beginning because it screws everything up evenly. I think it’s called the Distributive Property of DOH!

It sure did.

But I admit that I did find the question of how much gasoline does it take to generate the amount of heat in a seat heater interesting from an academic standpoint. I’m too lazy to look up the numbers and do the math, and thank others for doing it for me.