Freeways Are Falling Out of Favor'

That graph looks correct to me. What huge cultural change began in the mid 1960s? The drug culture. Compare it to alcohol prohibition for a rapid and incredible increase in crime.

Another change was wealth. My parents grew up poor as did most of their generation. After WWII, they came back and started working toward a better life, and that started happening in the 1950s and 1960s. It continued into the 1970s when I started working. The late 1970s and especially the 1980s saw the advent of inexpensive semiconductor devises, and created a lot of wealth. The disparity in wealth gave criminals someone to rob, and drugs were affordable for a lot more than could buy them before.

I’m really sorry I ever said anything. All I said was that I thought there was a change in the mores since the 50’s, 60’s. I never meant to imply that it was Mayberry with everything wonderful, just that as kids, we never even thought about throwing rocks off of bridges to endanger anyone, or pointing out guns at anyone. We did hit a few cars with water balloons I will confess, but not rocks. Sure their were people getting drunk and getting in fights and I’m sure domestic issues, just not like today and most people with kids were married.

Sarge brings up a good point. People like Timothy Oleary maybe did more damage to this country than could be imagined. I remember trying to argue with kids back then to not use drugs when people like him were telling everyone how great they were. I don’t hate hardly anyone but he is one that was hard to fight against, may he rot in He&&.

Yeah, that was a great movie

But Lonesome Rhodes lost ALL of his fan base, when he didn’t realize the microphone was picking up everything, and his fans saw him for the scoundrel he really was :smirk:

1 Like