First time getting car service, not sure if normal

2 rotors is 440? and i set of pads is 110? and 1 caliper is 543? whew
local dealer has 1 front caliper for LX accord for 243 list.
i want to see the bill that says list for 1 caliper from honda is $543.

$135 for a state inspection ??? Where is this ? Its $21 in NY . I do think you got taken a bit but will have a hard time proving it . Oil changes are usually a set price like $40 , it should not be too much more than this even using synthetic oil if they did .

Well here is the lesson. Free is not always free. There is a reason why free oil changes are given out and it’s not to be nice neighbors. I never use free anything. At any rate, just because the guy was fast doing the work, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get paid the going rate. In my humble view anyway. I passed up the free meal on Veteran’s Day too.

1 Like

It’s possible that at some point more than one person was working on the car at the same time.
In that case more than 4 man-hours of work could be done in less than 4 hours.

3 Likes

A free meal on Veterans day is not a free lunch. It’s a thank you for your service. Thank you for your service.

1 Like

A customer is under no obligation to have other repairs performed after receiving a free oil change.

Prices are high but some vehicle owners don’t want to take the time or trouble off visiting other repair shops, if the repairs can be performed in a short period of time it may be worth the expense to the customer.

Prove what? Too much mark-up on the parts?

@coffeecocoa98_159819. The real lesson to learn here is always to get a second opinion. I do realize that an inspection station has you over a barrel because they can fail your car for inspection, but in every state that I have been in that had required inspections, they gave you a thirty day tag that allowed you to get the repairs done somewhere else.

Car repair is a business transaction. You need to treat it as one. You will probably never outsmart the mechanic or dealer on automobile mechanical knowledge, other wise why would you even go to them for advice. But if you approach it as a business deal, get quotes and second opinions and solicit advice on good mechanics from friends and coworkers, you should do pretty good and avoid getting ripped off or over charged in the future.

Be aware though that good quality work is NOT cheap. But is often is less expensive in the long run than cheap work. When you get quotes, discard any that are too good along with those that are too high. Then go with your gut on the ones in the middle.

Don’t thank me. I didn’t get the chance to do anything-just put my 6 years in.

We are far to much alike. The few times I have got the free veterans meal I have tipped the price of the meal.

I am always willing to pay a fair price for expertise I lack.

I put my 30 years in but never had the chance to be a hero. It was always ‘Go where you’re sent, do what you’re told’.

It seems a bit pricey but maybe not completely out of line. If they did a complete brake service,undid, cleaned and relubed everything, reset your parking brake, did a brake fluid change, and test drove it to bed in the new pads and rotors, and then reinspect to make sure no leaks in the new caliper where the hose attaches. Sometimes good work takes a bit longer, and you pay more for better quality parts. Cheap repairs are not necessarily the best repairs.
Dealer work is always going to be the most expensive route, but you tend to get good work and good parts. You don’t mention how the brakes are now working compared to what they were. I have gone the cheap pads and rotors route in the past, and the simple fact is that some of the savings disappear when you have to replace them twice as soon as you would have with better quality parts,