First motorcycle fatality

I did that also but I can no longer ride but the 3 right turns is good practice in cars also.

Rod Knox- You are not seriously proposing that motorcyclist be belted to their bike are you? I thought it was ridiculous when Elizabeth Dole proposed it as Transportation Secretary, Everyone else did also which is why it was never implemented.

Why was this post near the top of the list when I went to community, the last post was 97 days ago.

I owned a Cushman Eagle motorscooter when I was a teenager. One day while delivering a paper route the front wheel locked and over the handlebars I went flying. I left a bit of skin on that paved road but didn’t break a bone. Helmet – what’s a helmet. I also learned a good lesson and never owned a motorcycle.

My kid was with a couple on a motorcycle. They were closest to the centerline. He was trailing close to the shoulder. A car came around the curve and hit them. He went thru the debris and slid along ways. They were both dead. He had not a scratch. $14k in damage to his new Harley though.

Did I suggest seat belts being used on motorcycles? I missed that. My post was merely expressing my amazement at the outrageous regulations that require automobile drivers use seat belts and shoulder harnesses and new cars have air bags when motorcycle drivers are allowed to drive sitting on a death seat. I guess motorcyclists are expendable.

I understand your point, I have a problem with the creeping nanny-ism of all levels of government. live in a state where we are not allowed to swim except on our own property without a lifeguard present. A number of years ago the state parks ran out of money so because there were no lifeguards or park police, the state police were sent to chase/arrest swimmers. Each state policeman makes almost 10 times what a lifeguard does.

1 Like

Not motorcycle related, but I remember an ad from an insurance company, something like
In 18 or 19 hundred whatever there were only 2 cars in the entire state, and they got into an accident.

And yes I find it ironic a guy on a motorcycle can give me a ticket for not wearing a seat belt.

Yes and it’s a shame. After living a peaceful and law abiding life at the age of 61 I was threatened with being arrested if I jumped off a water fall. I couldn’t resist the dare and jumped. But honestly it was safer to jump than to climb back down the mossy bank. Where do they hire the people who are supposed to protect us? Who makes all the outrageous regulations? Myself and most of a Boy Scout troop jumped off that waterfall long years ago and survived somehow.

Bureaucracy is like junk in a garage, it breeds and expands to fill all available space keeping thousands of people busy mostly justifying the need for the bureaucracy that employs them
 These regulations were written so petty tyrants can yell “no soup for you!”.

I agree with David Graeber’s thesis wholeheartedly. We have become a nation that glorifies the bean counters and bean market speculators while we denigrate those who plant, harvest, package, transport, prepare and serve the beans

The ultimate BS job is the speed trap village on a highway, a village that exists to enforce its speed limit and enforces its speed limit to exist. Build a loop around such a village so that traffic would’t have to go through it and it withers on the vine and becomes a ghost town, or at least its over sized police department does.

Prior to the construction of I-95, there were a quite a few villages in Georgia that fit that description to a T.
They knew that tourists passing through would be unlikely to be able to show-up for their court appearance in 2-3 weeks, so they focused on cars with out-of-state plates and then creamed the income from the unsuspecting souls who they ticketed, and who had to simply plead guilty and send their check to the town’s Violations Bureau.

If only those out-of-staters had been smart enough to wear white sheets and hoods when driving through that area

An episode of ‘Alfred Hitchcock Presents’ was about this.

Are you referring to this episode?

That episode had to do with Good Old Boys, but I don’t believe that it had anything to do with speed traps.
And, I think that their method of revenge was somewhat appropriate.

Remember going to Mardi Gras 70s or 80s, we were warned do not even go 3 mph over the speed limit, it was 25 or 35, cruise into town, a Dodge Charger Police car with radar right at the entrance to town, as I recall it was Tuscaloosa or something similar.

Wow! You remembered it for 30 or 40 years! How much was your fine?
CSA :joy:

Per Wikipedia:

Roper was clocked at 2 minutes 1.4 seconds for the flying mile, for a top speed 40 mph (64 km/h). He was seen to wobble and then fall on the track, suffering a head wound, and was found dead. After autopsy, the cause of death was found to be heart failure, although it is unknown if the crash was the cause of the stress on his heart, or if his heart failed prior to the crash.

More fake news from @RandomTroll

;-]

No fine, no pullover but the prettiest dodge Charger police cars I ever saw :sunglasses:

Awesome! Those were the REAL Dodge Chargers, probably 426 street-hemi interceptors.
“Yo in a heapa trouble, boy!”
CSA

I did that, once!
It was a 305 Honda Scrambler, though. It followed shortly after a bottle or two of Boone’s Farm wine and I wasn’t dead, but wished I was the next morning, between the hangover and trying to get new skin to grow on my arms and legs! Feel the magic! :joy:

“Here, hold this bottle
 Watch this!” :rofl: