First Date Conundrum

It’s not just that we take notes, but most of us spend a lot of time getting ready for a first date. It’s always disappointing when it feels like the guy didn’t do the same – and that’s how it will seem if he doesn’t clean his car, that he didn’t care enough about the date to make a good impression.

I second that. I can’t believe a 38 year old hasn’t figured this critical clue out yet. I almost thought it was a joke call.

A Grand Prix is a teenager car. If you want to be taken seriously, get a car which suggests you have a real job, or at least aren’t totally irresponsible. A Toyota, maybe. The dealership will clean it before you take it home.

Clean the car! Maybe you should spring for the $19.95 one at your local car wash. Remember what they say about first impressions…Would you take your mom out in your messy car much less a lady you would like to know better?? Of course you wouldn’t!

Did he brush his teeth and take a shower before the date? Isn’t that just as misleading? Clean the car as a sign of respect. By the way, he’d better hope she never sees this thread. If he has to be told this what else doesn’t he know?

I’d say make a reasonable effort to clean the car — get rid of soda bottles, beer cans, fast food garbage. And, if food items have been in the car for a long time, I’d spray some carpet cleaner and vacuum it up for good measure.

Once it’s clean, it’s pretty easy to keep it clean. When you get out of the car, bring any and all trash and toss it in the garbage.

I’m not just talking good impressions—it’s a health matter if any food items are involved. I’m no expert but I think making a girl sick on the first date isn’t generally get someone a second date.

John should clean, but not detail, his car. A total mess is fine in an impromptu situation, but a scheduled date gives time for each one of them to try a bit, giving them a chance to learn whether or not they click. Him cleaning up his car is like her showering and going out in something other than her pajamas. If someone really respected will be a passenger at a specified time, the driver can show that respect by making sure they have a clean place in which to park their rear without feeling like a rat is going to crawl up their leg. ; P
When she sees his messy tendencies a bit later, she can decide whether or not John’s plusses exceed his minuses…and that will show John whether or not she was worth the trouble. Hopefully she’s a REAL person who understands that nobody’s perfect.

Dating is about filtering out the many from the few with true compatibility potential. You are filtering, and she is also filtering. Cleaning the car only slows down the process. You could have first dates with 4 women, or second dates with 2 women. I figure the perfect woman for me won’t care how I keep my car, so I do very minimal straightening up. If it’s not good enough for her, then she’s not compatible with me. If you take her car, show it the same respect she shows it.

CLEAN UP YOUR CAR, DO NOT LIE AND DEVELOP THE HABIT OF CLEANLINESS AFTER ALL IT IS "NEXT TO GODLINESS !! RANDMAN

Here’s what you do:
Get about $30 in ones and fives, and scatter them around the car. Don’t clean out the trash, unless it stinks or might stick to her. She’ll either decide that you have more money than you know what to do with or you just aren’t impressed with it. Maybe she’ll clean out the car; you can tell her it’s like an Easter egg hunt. If she doesn’t go out with you again, take the $30 and buy some beer.

Clean the thing!!!

You know how many girls have come in and out of the Riviera?

Wow that sounded so ho-bag of me!

By that I meant, I’ve got a bit of experience on the subject. Get it clean and KEEP it clean!!

NEVER bring a girl into your car with FOOD or FOOD RELATED STUFFS on the FLOOR! And the seats and the passenger footwells should be spotless!

-Matt

OK, couple thoughts. Back in the 70’s and 80’s, when cars were designed properly and had BENCH SEATS you could make out in the car. Is the crap in the car going to interfere with that? If it does, baby get the shovel out!!! teehee

Second thought, is so obvious, cant believe nobody thought of it. You’ve seen HER car, is it clean? Is it messy? If her car is a mess, she’ll probably not care, but at least clean her seat off, K? Dont leave anything that will get her clothes dirty.

PS Car Talk people, IMO BUCKET SEATS are a CRIME against humanity. How you going to snuggle up with a cuddly cutie pie in that? geez.

You wouldn’t wear sweatpants on a first date. So clean the car. I know I feel nice when I go on a date with a guy who has just washed his truck/car. It’s something small that lets me know he cares about the impression he’s making, therefore, cares about me. Silly, but true.

if your car is this dirty what does your body smell like do ever clean your self.

Was there ever a fallow-up call on this one? I thought it was one of the funniest calls ever!