Finally a major failure 2002 Sienna in Mexico, need advice

@GeorgeSanJose

What year is your corolla?

What engine do you have?

91, 4AFE.

I installed the battery which failed this week, two or three years ago, sitting in exactly the same place.

When the old one failed, three years ago, it failed like normal. Simply would not start the car, nothing happened until I Put it on the charger for a while. So, there was something different this time.

Anyway, now I know this new symptom. And, several others have admitted they now know, too. Thanks to all. That us what this board is for at its best.

I may buy another charger when I go back to the States. This man who borrowed it is an incredible friend. A year or two, I ate too much goat fat. it tasted so good. DO NOT EAT GOAT FAT IN QUANTITY.

I called him late at night, and said I am sicker than a dog, I must have eaten too much goat fat. My b.p. as like 170/?, normal 110/68. My pulse rate was off the top of the charts.

He came down; drove me to the hospital and stayed until I was able to come home. My bp was okay, and so was pulse rate. But, I still laid in bed like a sick dog for a couple days, due to stomach pains.

I am sure any time of day or night we call and ask for help, he will come running.

You do not quibble over an old battery charger with friends like that.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. Booster cables and a charger are good to have, so I’d put those on the shopping list.

Just for the record, I don’t like the new ‘smart’ chargers. I had occasion to try and resurrect a battery that was completely discharged, and my neighbor’s smart charger would not recognize a battery was connected, and would not charge. My 20 yo ‘dumb’ charger didn’t care. When we hooked it up, the ammeter read 0 amps, but gradually climbed to 14 amps. We let it run for a bit until it tapered down to about 5 amps, and the battery had plenty of juice to start the big 454 RV engine my neighbor had. Now, he throws a charge to it every couple of weeks.

@BustedKnuckles
I’ve been using an old Schumacher (sp?) For decades. Mainly to recharge my boat trolling batteries. It works great and I know its not over or under charging them. Needed a second charger so bought a “smart” one from same mfr. Hunk of junk. Didn’t recognize or wouldn’t charge. Stopped short etc. Took that one back and bought the closest to a dumb charger I could find. Still prefer my old standby…

I have a Schumacher Smart Charger. You know what I like about it? It tests the battery before it charges the battery to see if the battery is worth charging. And if it isn’t, the charger won’t charge it.

Tester

In theory. The deep cycle it refused to charge is still going strong two seasons later using the old charger. The other thing that bugged me was it stopped way short of full charge on the batteries it would charge. If I put them on the older one it would still be taking a taper charge for hours afterward.