Family Car Planning--2 kids will be driving soon, need car management strategy

I did legal research as a volunteer for an organization, for some years. I can’t remember which state it was, probably MN, (N.W. 2nd) but a farmer provided a car for his son to drive back and forth to school. When he bought the car he told his son, “Do not ever let anyone else drive the car! It’s for you, no one else. They will wreck it.”

Every day, every time, the kid drove the car, the dad told him, like a stuck record; “Don’t let anyone else drive that car. They will wreck it.” (That does sound strange, but the justices so ruled in their opinion.)

Eventually, stupid kid let someone drive the car and he wrecked it, with a second party getting hurt.

Of course, the lawyers came after dad, because they felt he was liable.

It went to the high state court on appeals, and the appellate court ruled the kid who wrecked it was not an authorized driver, so the dad was not responsible.

I sure hope that stupid kid developed gigantic leg muscles from riding his bicycle back and forth to town.

Most farmers are pretty well versed on legal and insurance matters so I wouldn’t dought the guy knew exactly what he was doing. They have to deal with lawyers for land issues, tax issues, liability, etc. What if a cow gets loose on the road and someone gets killed in the process, etc. Its big business with lots of risks.