Extended warantee worth the dough?

I never buy into extended warranties on any consumer product. I rely on the infant mortality warranty from the manufacturer and take my chances. I am also a careful user so I don’t subject my gear to the rigors some might (ex: camera destroyed by water/sand exposure). Had one OEM salesperson pushing their extended warranty that I was declining. After I had had enough, I said, “I guess I have more confidence in your products than you do”. That shut him up.

That being said, the financial exposure on car repairs far exceeds that for consumer electronics. For example, a rash of design problems on transmissions can make you think twice about gambling on their limited warranty. The people who have needed to use an extended warranty will always be in favor of them. I have a co-worker with a Chrysler van that has been serviced numerous times under the extended warranty and saved 3x the initial cost of the warranty. He’s a big advocate of them…

I bought one from the dealer. When we went to use it we were told there was a $200 deductable. The dealer would waive the deductable if all service was done by them, which it wasn’t. Then we went on to find out the extended warrenty did not cover the problem with the car.