Engine Sludge Causing Smoking on Starting - Can it Be Fixed?

In some cases extended warranty will pay up without a problem. However, it’s a gamble and in most cases the odds are in favor of the house; as it’s designed to be.

Several cases to go along with VDCdriver’s comments.

1. A dealer I worked for backed another guy in a Chevrolet dealership. After only several years in business he skipped out after leaving everybody (banks, customers, purchasers of extended warranty plans, employees, and my ex-boss) holding the bag.
    Where did he go? San Antonio, TX where he opened up an extended warranty company, collected premiums and stalled payments for several years until he disappeared yet again. The financial burden from this guy helped to sink the dealer who backed him and where I was employed at the best job of my life.

2. One dealer sold extended warranty plans but the caveat was that the car MUST be returned for repairs at that dealership only. It turned out the dealer pocketed all this money while self-insuring the cars, there was no 3rd party insurer, and every customer who bought one of those plans was left holding the bag also. When the excrement piled up too high too manage the dealer folded up.There were also 3 or 4 banks left holding the same bag per court records.
    Needless to say, the customers who bought this “plan” were constantly having to wrestle a dealer who balked at repairs or wanted things cobbled together so cheaply the worst of back yard repairmen would die of shame.

I have the same issue exactly with a 2015 Murano. Massive sludge (so they say) and now they say it needs a new engine at 56,000 miles. bought new and have had synth oil changes every 6000 +/-. Seems these things are garbage?!
Think I am going to roll this right over to CarMax and forget I even owned it.

add me please! I am having the same issue. thank you!

So as long as we’ve opened up another old discussion, I’ll just add if any of you folks are looking at a used Murano from CarMax, might want to think that one over again.

2 Likes

I drive a truck for a living and I’m on the road 12 to 14 hours a day 6 days a week. I see more Nissan Muranos broken down on the side of the road than any other car. Now I know why

Seriously , I hardly ever see one period .

1 Like

Ditto!
When the Murano first entered the marketplace, they were fairly popular in my area.
Nowadays, I rarely see one.

1 Like

Oil sludge doesn’t cause smoking directly at least. It could block vital oil passages and cause oil starvation in bearings and lifters and such. Oil smoking however is caused by worn piston rings or valve stem seals. … Sounds like it could be the intake valve seals.

2 Likes

Yup I was just telling this to a relative during Christmas when she told me she was thinking about buying one. She’s always had an Altima and was thinking about going bigger. I also decided to check back on this topic because I just seen another one in Wisconsin dead on the side of the road.