Engine Heater, Cold Start but oil at Operating Temperature already?

@asterix Unless I read the web site wrong that thing by Webasto is a gasoline fired space heater . That is not what this thread question is about and at 1000.00 it seems to be aimed at RV and Caravan market.

Yes, there are great benefits of getting your engine up - or close - to operating temperature before starting it. I don’t know how common they are in USA, but in the rest of the “cold” world, the names Eberspacher and Webasto are known names. It is systems working in the car, but please search the names and You’ll be much wiser.
Best of luck.

I’ll give You one: A 1000 bucks seems about right. They ain’t cheap. But they work extremely well and they are not only about RV and caravans. At least not in Europe.

The OP is looking for one that is powered and runs off of 12 volts only, no diesel or gas required.

1 Like

That has nothing to do with warming the engine oil or coolant which is what this thread is about . You need to calm down or you will find yourself flagged .

1 Like

I can see myself now, with my car battery voltage dropping as I heat the oil…dropping to the point it won’t start the car!

Car batteries do not like deep cycling.

2 Likes

It has everything to do with warming up the engine oil AND coolant WHICH is what this thread is about.

Both You and I have known for a very long time that we don’t like each other. That does not make neither You or I to a bad person.
I have reached a point in my life a fair bit back (actually around dec. 2019) that I would not have anything to do with this forum duo to the “temperature”. I asked the boss here to remove me completely. She did not, I do understand why so I don’t blame her, she is an honorable and honest lady.
Today, I wish that I was removed completely, but I stand by what I have written.
Please do flag me all you like.
Best wishes to all of you.
Regards.
Klaus

2 Likes

Sprinter vans sold in the states have been available with diesel fired engine heaters with a programmable timer since 2003. Battery power is used to power the boiler blower and the water pump.

@asterix don’t take it too hard, post on

1 Like

Also how many are just going to drive off without unplugging the silly thing .

I would say about 95% would forget to pull the plug.

Engine heaters are typically 75 and up watts, 110 Volts, and thermostatically controlled for the better ones. Any 12 V source would be very inadequate.

Any car shop can install one in the cooling system, block or rad hose for about $100.

In Canada all cars have them right from the dealer’s lot. I’ve had one since high school days;

I would say your estimate is way too high.

Could be I have been known to be wrong before I live in the south and most people here don’t stay out no longer than needed we tend to hibernate as much as posible at those temp’s.

My first Outback had the Cold Weather Package, which included an engine block heater. In the 6 years that I owned it, I think I used the block heater only 2 or 3 times. Because I was afraid that I would forget to unplug it the next morning, I did exactly what was pictured, namely looping the orange extension cord around my side view mirror in order to prevent me from forgetting.

That car never had any starting problems–even in very low temperatures–but on the few occasions when I used the block heater it was nice to be able to use the heater/defroster much more quickly than I usually could in very cold weather.

1 Like

A major benefit of block heaters is rapid warmup of their car so you get heat and defrost quickly.

In many parts of Canada, of course, most cars won’t start without a block heater if left outside overnight.

Most hotels in Western and Northern Canada have outside plug-ins so the hotel guests can keep their engines warm.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be complicated to add a fuel pump relay or other means to prevent starting the engine when the heater is connected

1 Like

The “ignore” button can be your friend.

Hi @asterix I am sorry; I must have forgotten to delete your account the second time.

Your comment was flagged regarding the English, but @Tester should not have brought it up in the first place.

Asterix, if you’d like to have your account deleted, I can do it, but since you came back last year perhaps @circuitsmith ‘s suggestion to ignore those you don’t get along with is a good one.

1 Like

@asterix stick around

1 Like

Hi cdaquila. Please do the delete thing.
Thanks in advance.