Engine Gaining Oil (HELP)

Some things are still a bit fuzzy to me and I wonder if there is a problem at all.

Check the oil level after the car has sat all night and note the spot on the dipstick.
The next morning repeat the process to see if the level is still on the same spot.

What is the official oil cpacity? 4 something quarts? Maybe someone is adding the full five and just rounding it up.
If that is the case it will not hurt anything.

1 Like

It is not unusual for someone to over fill an engine during an oil change. Cracked blocks and failing head gaskets are unusual on a nearly new car.

There is a possibility the injection pump is leaking but the dealer is doing what they should, correct the oil level and inspect a week or two later.

I knew a guy who would check his oil when the engine was running, thought the transmission fluid and oil were checked the same way. He would frequently add oil I would guess if he checked when it was cold it would have read high.

Sounds like you are getting some kind of bio-diesel. The bio fuel doesn’t burn completely, which is washed to the oil causing your oil to go up.

Huh? Bio-diesel washed to the oil?

It sounds like there is some confusion with the electronic oil level indicator. It might be simpler to cover that indicator with a piece of tape and check the dipstick at every fill up.

Yes, it doesn’t burn all the way and as a result ends up in the oil pan, washed is just the easiest way to describe it.

I’d be very surprised it any of the biodiesel components survived combustion unburned and washed into the oil. Got a source for that?

I looked at a VW site and a person claimed his TDI oil level was increasing because of Biodiesel and the dealer could not find a problem. After several trips it was discovered the person did not really know how to check his oil. As for the person who started this thread I still don’t think they are getting true readings.

1 Like

http://biodiesel.org/docs/default-source/ffs-engine_manufacturers/vw-b20-letter-for-mn_july-2014.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Read under how does bio diesel differ from ULSD. Hope that helps. Also it states in tdi owners manuals about using bio and oil level.

Also https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/biodiesel_Brochure5.pdf

Read under technical risks. This is straight from Mercedes Benz

You’re right, and I am surprised. This appears to apply to B20 use, B5 would seem to be OK. @Dank1382 - do you use B20?

He may not know or it may not be properly labeled at the pump.

Sorry folks, he may have a point with the biodiesel. First I didn’t know you could get a mini with a diesel and then I know Minnesota has done some nutty things the last few years but didn’t know they mandated bio diesel. So the answer is change oil and find a new station.

The Mini Cooper with this diesel engine is not sold in the US according to the web site. The OP has been to the dealer and they say there is nothing wrong. It would be nice to hear the final outcome .

If you are GAINING oil in your engine that could be one of 3 possibilities that I know of:

1. There is condensation build up caused by high humidity and lots of cold starts and short trips, so you have GAINED not oil, but water in your motor oil.

2. The measurement of oil was done incorrectly (engine may have been hotter when tested a second time)

3. Other contaminants (like fuel) have mixed with the motor oil, but it being a 1 year old car is less likely that it would be defective. If there was fuel in your motor oil that could be smelled quite easily when changing your motor oil and your oil would be thinner since fuel acts like a solvent.