Emptier roads, but more fatalities

That’s about as bad as selling liquor to minors except they’ll shut the store down for a while. We have been using Walmart and HyVee here for pick-up. They don’t charge but have a minimum ordering charge. Funny though I always offered a tip to the poor suckers having to come out in the rain and snow to fill the trunk. WM would never take a tip but the kids at HyVee do. There must be a rule against it or something.

The nearest Walmart here was counting people coming and going for a while (never saw them hold anybody up) and “requiring” masks (a large percentage of people entering did so with no mask and no consequences). They even offered free paper masks to those wanting them. They offered had sanitizer, but it was usually depleted.

Now, masks are recommended and nobody checks anything. It seems people here have never freaked out about the virus. We had limited indoor and outdoor dining for a while, but everything’s been wide open for a long time. Schools did not close, but parents could keep kids out.

I’ve played golf nearly every day since this scare began and our elevator in my building is shared by occupants of 48 units. Even older folks are generally not concerned. We’ve been able to travel freely and participate in normal activities. I thank my lucky stars that the state didn’t shut down and wreck the economy here. Spring break is beginning and we are beginning to get a huge influx of tourists, further boosting businesses.

The roads re definitely back to normal heavy traffic, but we’ve added more speeders and light runners since the law enforcement has backed-off.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Who does? I sure don’t.

And that’s why Florida has one of the highest infection rates. Almost 2 million infected and over 32,000 dead. Great job. You should be proud.

3 Likes

Before the masks were mandated here in NH…there were a higher then normal of Grocery store and Wallmart workers being infected at work from customers who were infected and not wearing masks. Since the mask mandate those numbers have dropped significantly.

Masks and social distancing WORKS. If it were up to me…people who don’t wear masks and get Covid would NOT be at the end of the line for medical treatment.

2 Likes

That’s just one side of the story. First, FL’s got a lot of old folks, many of whom haven’t taken care of themselves and have “pre-existing” conditions (many, not all self-inflicted). Nearly 80% of all people hospitalized with the virus are obese!

That is just one pre-existing condition that makes folks much more vulnerable. This is a nation of people with self-inflicted pre-existing conditions. I believe the U.S. now leads the world with overweight people not taking care of their health.

Then, and this is the biggy, unintended consequences of taking away people’s freedom, ending visitors for elderly, putting businesses out of business, ending people’s lively hoods, making people depressed and stressed (stress is another risk factor).

People in some of these lock-down areas have lost businesses, jobs, pride, etcetera, and have turned to alcohol, drugs, mental illness, and suicides. And these places have put their economies in ruin.

To look at the virus from a merely medical point of view, as does CDC, for example, is a huge blunder.

It would be difficult to impossible to quantify all deaths caused by unintended consequences of seemingly well-intentioned people, but I’m sure it exceeds the rate of deaths in places like Florida. Everybody I know here in my circle of friends and acquaintances, and that is a lot of people (between building residents and golf course members, to name just two places.) share a similar view to mine, and we’ve gone through it!

I would never want to die from “failure to rally” as it says on the death certificates (official cause of death) of many old folks made lonely by virus mandatory restrictions. I’d rather take a chance and die with a 9 iron or kayak paddle in my hand.

Let freedom ring! Fore!
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Several places handled COVID-19 differently, and things either never got out of hand or were contained quickly. New Zealand, South Korea, and Taiwan all instituted mask wearing and distancing immediately, and it was widely accepted. They had minimal Impacts on their economies because coronavirus was stopped quickly.

I saw statistics on the vaccines yesterday, and over 50% of Republican men said they would not get vaccinated add to that the minorities that have been mistreated by authorities in the last and refuse vaccination, and we are in for a long period of recurring COVID-19 outbreaks. A dismal outcome because millions of people refuse to do vey simple, fairly harmless things like get vaccinated and wear masks. I hope that former President Trump tells the public that he was vaccinated in January, and that they should follow his lead. I doubt that he will, given how much he invested in downplaying COVID-19 and any steps that might curb it.

3 Likes

Good morning, maybe I need another cup of coffee…but does this have anything to do with cars?

1 Like

I’m not talking about the deaths…I’m talking about the number of INFECTIONS. I wouldn’t be proud of those numbers.

We’re now finding a lot of that out since this administration is actually embracing the idea of contact tracing. That should have been in place from day one. Many 3rd world countries have done a far better job controlling the spread then we did.

It’s actually easy to practice social distancing while Golfing and many other outdoor activities. Close contact indoors is by far the WORSE. We haven’t eaten INSIDE a restaurant in a year. A few time during the summer we ate at outdoor dining.

2 Likes

Taiwan reported their first case the same day the US did. The number of infections in Taiwan is about 1000 times LESS then here in the US. They had less then 1000 people get infected and only 10 deaths. And Taiwan is much more densely populated then the US. India had 11 million cases as compared to US of 29 million. But India has a population of 1.3 BILLION (4 times the US). 4 times the US population and less then half the number of infected with Covid. Countries that embraced the science and didn’t make it political did fine. Governments that denied the virus even existed or ignored the science and their recommendations didn’t do so well.

2 Likes

5 Likes

He already did…Paragraph 2

I am proud. If the infection rate is high while the death rates are low, that means people getting infected are surviving the disease, building anti-bodies and contributing to herd immunity. Florida’s death rate per 100K shows this even with a higher percentage of seniors than the national average.

All without destroying the states economy… The roads are full (too full!) of tourist traffic. We had dinner with friends last Wednesday and the restaurant was full, even though it is several miles from the beach.

Like the Spanish flu, this is never going away so achieving herd immunity as quickly as possible is the only path to a return to normal.

1 Like

Herd immunity does NOT mean get everyone infected.

There are 2 basic ways to build herd immunity. One is to infect everyone and let the virus run its course. The other is through vaccinations. The problem with letting the virus run it’s course is that millions of people are going to DIE. The other major problem with this method is that it tasks the health system. We saw that in the first and second wave of the virus. Putting health workers at risk. Many hospitals had to postpone all elective surgeries. It also put people who didn’t have the virus at risk for any visit to a hospital for emergencies or even just Chemo treatments.

The BEST way is to follow social distancing guidelines and get vaccinated. Our number should be less then 1/3rd what they are now.

It can be done. It’s being done now. Wear a mask. Avoid Crowds and large social gatherings without masks. The first wave hit many businesses hard. But many have adapted.

2 Likes

What trumpy did is NOT publicly announcing he got the virus like all the other presidents did. All he did was tell his supporters he got the vaccine. That’s NOT THE SAME THING. And it wasn’t widely well known til months later. There are still a large segment of this population who thinks it’s a hoax based on Trumpy and Fox Entertainment telling them it’s a hoax a year ago.

2 Likes