Emerson,lake and palmer

CARTALK may be getting a theme song. ELP is working on it but all they have is a beginning.

Welcome back my friends to the threads that never end

Yeah baby, it’s 1973 again…

Lol, I wonder what oil filter they use on their cars?

Now that’s funny. I wonder how long it will stay up.

damnit, now I have to break out the old vinyl, if I can remember what I did with the turntable. :frowning:

Oooooh, what lucky men we are…

OH, for the analog days again.
ESPCIALLY in the automotive world !
What a royal pain in the keester some of this super duper computerized crap is to work on.

In the early days, even though Kieth Emerson had a stack of …’‘synthesizers’’…they too were analog. ( along with Hammond B3,and pianos )
The early Moog sythesizers were a mass of knobs and sliders that needed tweeked by the user in hopes of getting the desired sound. THAT took so long that multiple synthesizers were used to be able to save and re-use desired sounds without 10 minutes of knob twisting between songs.
Reading his bio we see that he was the first artist to tour with the Moog…along with the help of its inventor Dr. Robert Moog ( that’s how much work they were before the days of digital sampling )

Yea, I love that old vinyl too. Loved the scratches, the nicks, the background noise, the compressed frequency range, the very limited life expectancy and leaving it in the sun and having it melt. Yes,I miss analog like I miss a hole in the head , drum brakes, non synchronized transmission, leaded gas, plain steel mufflers, carburetors and everything else that made both driving and listening to music actually synthetic and totally un real and a very forgettable experience.

I remember buying a digital live recording on CD of an Everly Brothers Reunion concert. A reviewer warned,“this is not how you remember them sounding on vinyl and AM radio.
” They actually sound better and each had separate and distinctly good voices. That convinced me that like old records of the other artists includng early ELP music, old renditions on vinyl (and wonderful 8track) are totally “unrealistic”. Yuck !

I don’t think the synthesizer riffs would have sounded the same on Lucky Man if they played on a digital synthesizer.

As a college student I used to go to all the ELP concerts when they brought their show to town. Each and every one was great. They’d start the show with their classic “Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends.”

I had to stop going to live rock and roll shows, not just ELP, but all of them. B/c of the use of flash powder during the performances. I guess not everyone is bothered by it, but when that bright light went off it hurt my eyes and gave me a headache for the rest of the show. So I decided it better just to listen to the group’s albums. That’s also the main reason I never learned to weld, I think the bright light would give me a headache.

This is a fun thread. My high school teachers would tell me when I grew up I wouldn’t like rock and roll anymore. They said I’d switch to something more pleasant, like classical music. Didn’t happen. I still love classic rock and roll. But their other prediction maybe had some merit, about how sporting long hair in high school would make a person go bald as an adult … lol …

Speaking of still liking rock and roll, a couple weeks ago I got a hankering for some reason for Jimi Hendrix’s cover of Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower”. Has something like that ever happened to you, for unknown reason you feel the need to hear a song you haven’t heard in years? Other than maybe hearing Watchtower as part of a movie soundtrack, I haven’t heard that song in years, not sure why I got to thinking about it. But once into my mind, I absolutely had to hear it. I found it after a two or three day search, and wow, it is astonishingly good. I think I’ll listen to it again tonight!

You had an attack of purplehazeosis…

I found Purple Haze too! And Hey Joe. Hendrix, he was quite a musician.

I chuckled when I saw Volvo’s comment about the threads that never end here. Dag and ken leavened their replies with some car material, but since then it’s looking like it’s going in a different direction. If there’s any way to salvage it, could you bring it back? Thanks.

@GeorgeSanJose This is a fun thread. My high school teachers would tell me when I grew up I wouldn't like rock and roll anymore. They said I'd switch to something more pleasant, like classical music. Didn't happen. I still love classic rock and roll. But their other prediction maybe had some merit, about how sporting long hair in high school would make a person go bald as an adult .. lol ..

I never regarded ELP’s music as “rock and roll”, it’s more like what Bach or Beethoven might have played if they lived in the era of synthesizers and electric guitars. One of the cuts on Brain Salad Surgery even was a cover of a song written by a 20th century Argentinian classical composer, although, since it’s 20th century, it should be called neo-classical.

“Rock and roll” is like “classical” in that it is a pigeonhole for everything from ELP to The Association to Motown just like classical is a pigeonhole for everything from baroque to classical, to romantic and even film scores.

Rock and roll is what the Stray Cats play.

@cdaquila I had my fun you may now close this.