Easy AC repair

Yep. Those were semi-popular in the 50’s and 60’s. I see they
still sell them on eBay (though are bigger these days).

https://www.ebay.com/i/173096220982?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=173096220982&targetid=539174538875&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9032972&poi=&campaignid=1881303721&mkgroupid=70239136935&rlsatarget=pla-539174538875&abcId=1139336&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI39jm3vey4wIVF6rsCh1Irw-REAQYBCABEgJ2UvD_BwE

I think that’s a pretty good idea. Needs a little ergonomics refinement, but that arrangement (along with an exit point at the rear) would do a very good cooling job in the SF Bay area climate on most days. My no-AC early 90’s Corolla has excellent flow through ventilation. My no-AC early 70’s truck, with only wing windows, not as good. I’ve noticed driving newer rental cars the ventilation system isn’t very good, not enough cooling unless the AC is on.

Another good thing about the arrangement in that photo, if it is in the way of a repair you can remove the AC system without worrying about loosing the coolant … lol …

The early Japanese cars (1960s, 1970s) had flow-thru ventilation plus that nice big vent mid-dash that could blow lots of fresh air.

JC Whitney, IIRC, had a box with a fan. You filled it with ice and plugged in the fan and out came cool air.

When I’m sweating in the humid Florida heat in my Civic, a fan blowing hot air at my face goes a long way to making me comfortable. Likewise, being on a motorcycle with no windshield is nice as long as I’m moving.

Good grief, George . . . !

You’re a presumably wealthy man living in Silicon Valley

And none of your vehicles have AC . . . ?!

time for an upgrade . . . live a little already

3 Likes

The home AC isn’t far off. I used to have a heater in my VW van. Plug it in at night, flip a switch inside while getting ready for work. When I started working nights, I swapped in a window AC. (It lasted about 2 months before someone helped themselves to it.)

lol For the next 10 days, SF will reach its high, a scorching 71
degrees on Monday.

A guy that installed some carpet in my house showed up with the rig I described in a Ford van. Given that darn near any auto AC repair here in Florida costs about $1500, he was money ahead. Couldn’t have had more than $400 in the whole lot. :laughing:

I’ve seen a lot of vans with that kind of rigging. If you want to get fancy, you can use a side-mounted or top-mounted RV air conditioner, but those would set you back more than the smallest household window unit, and I’ve never seen a roof-mounted air conditioner that didn’t eventually leak in a hard storm.

Why are you bringing up San Francisco?

George lives in San Jose

And San Jose , CA. is going to have temps in the mid 80’s with 50 % humidity .

I’m still of the opinion that having ac in the car would be quite beneficial in San Jose

I’ve known a lot of people that like to brag that they don’t want and/or need ac

Yet when they say this, they’re red, sweating, their pulse is racing, etc.

Just because they say something doesn’t mean you automatically have to take it at face value

I’m not accusing anybody of being a liar . . . yet it’s sometimes good to be a skeptic

My cheapskate friend refuses to use the A/C–both in the car, and at home.
When he takes the ~80 minute drive to my house in the summer, when he arrives his face is so red that I fear it will explode. His first stop in my house is the bathroom, in order to change his clothing because it is so saturated with perspiration. That’s correct. He brings a change of clothing because he becomes so wet. Also, he is unable to hear much for a while after his arrival, as a result of driving on the NJ Turnpike with his windows open.

He “doesn’t need” A/C.
Yeah, right…
:smirk:

2 Likes

When I talk of it, I’m not bragging. It can be miserable, and I’d opt to have it if all things were equal, but I made a strategic decision to not keep forking over $1,300 for a new compressor every 13 months, right after the warranty on the last one expires. Besides, my motorcycle has air conditioning as long as I’m moving. :wink:

Having said that, I know three women* who never run the air conditioning in their cars unless they have a passenger. They keep the air conditioning in their homes set on 78 degrees and they’re always cold. They live in Florida year round, love the heat, and hate the cold, and when they drive in muggy sweltering 91 degree heat, they aren’t red, sweating, with their pulse racing; they’re just comfortable.

*One is a former coworker, one is a current coworker, and one is the woman I am dating.

OK, I thought he mentioned SF in a message. San Jose hits a high of 83, with morning/evening temps in the 60’s. Not every climate needs AC… though my car needs it more than the house. (The car heats up like my greenhouse.)

That’s what I use the money for that I’d otherwise be spending servicing & repairing the AC :wink:

Not all cars with ac have problems . . .

My brother’s 2008 Toyota has auto climate control, and it’s never had a problem with the ac system. As far as the ac system goes, I’ve only replaced the accessory drive belt because it was worn, and the cabin air filter naturally got replaced many times over the years

When I bought my Dodge 7 years ago the A/C wasn’t cold enough. I performed an evacuate and recharge and when I disconnected the service lines from the car one of the service valves was leaking. I bought a replacement service valve for $5 and recharged the system. The A/C has been trouble free since then, it is 110 F here, I use the A/C 9 months of the year.

Imagine the good time I could have had with that money if I didn’t have to repair the air conditioner.

You want to keep that system, no matter what they say.

Mid 90's I was sold a new heat pump because my old (working)

system was too small. It was somewhere over $7K. It worked 12
years and the compressor went out. The factory refused warranty
because the company that installed it was only doing commercial
installs these days. It costs $20 more a month to heat the house,
and I can do w/o AC 360 days in the year. (I can’t find a system
that’ll last 35-50 years… even if I would.) lol

+1
Over the decades, I have owned 10 cars, of which 8 had A/C. (The non air-conditioned ones were a VW Karmann Ghia and a Ford Falcon…)
NONE of my air-conditioned cars ever gave me any problems related to the A/C, so I can state that I have spent zero dollars on A/C repairs over the span of 5 decades.

In my family, the only A/C repair that I can recall was the necessity to replace the compressor clutch on my brother & SIL’s Plymouth Barracuda when the car was less than 2 years old. That car was a low-quality POS from day one.