Early 60's station wagon with too short a wheelbase

Don’t forget about the Chevrolet “X-frame” that was unique to that one GM brand. In the other, more expensive GM makes, you got a frame with side rails. On a full-size Chevy, you got the cheaper X-frame that afforded no protection in the event of a side-impact collision.

Way back when, 2 of my cousins both owned Corvairs and they were no problem at all. A guy I ran around with in high school also had a Corvair ( turbo Spyder) that also was no problem.

The NHTSA did a 2-3 year study on the Corvair swing axle and exonerated Corvair of any fault in regards to this design.

Then, just as now, most accidents are caused by the degree of looseness in the steering wheel nut.

I was wondering if anyone would stick up for the Corvair. Way back when, I knew quite a few people who had Corvairs and they loved them. The had a tighter suspension than any other American cars and rivaled some of the European cars in handling. Most of the ones that had accidents were due to poor or no maintenance and abuse.

One other issue I have with the OP is that a car will spin out or roll over, but usually not both, unless it spun off the road and rolled down an embankment.

I agree with you. And you’re really going to have to get stupid with a Corvair to roll one on the flat as they had a low center of gravity and those skinny tires used back then would have a tendency to slide first.

I agree with some of the posters that older cars are not up to the handling and braking standards of today’s vehicles, but I also do not think they’re as bad as portrayed.
Heck, my old 68 Roadrunner (no power steering/brakes) has hit an honest and stable 125 mph before.
The late 50s Corvette I had (with 4:11 gears) has seen a 115 mph with one hand on the wheel and stuck to the road like it was glued down.

It did spin out and rolled down a large embankment.

I’ve had the chevelle up to about 100~105 mph before I chickened out and slowed it down. It’s mostly stable, but at speeds of 90~95+ it starts to veer to the left alot

One of the reason those old cars felt so stable was that they did not have rack and pinion steering. The worm and roller steering boxes are far less prone to bump steer. I’ve taken more than a few 50’s and 60’s vehicles into triple digits with good stability. I took the Saturn to 100mph on a dry lake bed in Cal and it was a white knuckle event (slight downhill).