E85 v/s gasoline

Out of the 9-10 million barrels of oil the US consumes, 2.4 million or about 25% comes from Canada, securely via pipelines. Saudi Arabia, Iraq and other Middle East countries are far down the list.

Now you are going to confuse the issue with actual facts, it’s much more fun to just blame the “towl heads.” (-;

Iraq is so far down on the list of countries supplying us with oil at this point, that it hardly matters. What was supposed to be a gush of oil from Iraq is, in reality, only a trickle.

Maybe we should do a little more research before we “discover” any more countries with WMDs.

PRESIDENT Cheney’s pipe dream (after convincing his ‘assistants’) went something like this: Find and excuse to invade Iraq and topple Saddam. Iraqis will receive US liberators with open arms. Immediate peace will result. US oil and oil service companies will get immediate concessions, repair oil field, and Iraq will pay for the cost of the war with oil, which the US will recive essentially free. US oil companies will continue to dominate the production, like in the pre-1973 era.

Other foreign powers, with exception of Britain and Australia will be excluded. An existing oil contract with Russia will be torn up.

The Democrats can’t possibly be this out of touch with reality, but we’ll see.

Unfortunately, that scenario is probably pretty close to reality. But one does have to wonder what/if is little buddy, george, was thinking; maybe he just wanted to “finish” dad’s little war. All I know is it will take the US at least a generation to live down this stupidity… until the next time they stumble into something like this. Maybe they should actually elect someone who has read at least one history book.

As they say, those who do not study history are bound to repeat it. On their retreat from Moscow during WW II, German generals were actually reading Napoleon’s journals. He did not get there either. General McArthur after WW II warned any leader who would listen: “Don’t start a land war in Asia!”.

A number of surveys indicate that a huge percentage of Americans still believe (mistakenly) that Saddam Hussein was a genuine threat to the US, so it may be difficult to convince those people of the reality of the massive blunders of the current administration–dead US soldiers and economic adversity notwithstanding. And, then it follows that it may also be difficult to convince them to vote against Senator McSame.

That’s the first filter I’ve EVER heard that happen to. Every filter is going to have some problem some day. And since Fram out sells almost all it’s competitors COMBINED, there are bound to be some problems.

If my wifes Lexus is the way manufacturers are going…the problem that guy had won’t be an issue in the future. The filter on the Lexus is a canister filter. All you do is replace the paper filter element. The canister is part of the car you just take off…replace the paper filter and the new seals (they come with the filter) and put the canister back on.

But one does have to wonder what/if is little buddy, george, was thinking;

You’re making a HUGH assumption here…GEORGE THINKS???

I’m not sure that are enough brain cells left.

This is a “canister type” filter, for a 1985 617 engine (as opposed to those silly screw-on filters that are/were popular on domestics, do they still use them?). I don’t care about the whole “fram debate” myself, I just posted the link for info. Some of these guys are really into dissecting various brands and trying to determine how well they are made, including the differences between countries of origin within the same brand (the “tribal knowledge” for this specific filter model was that fram filters from turkey were good quality). I don’t have any first hand experience with all the fram horror stories either.

Personally, I just use OEM filters (usually hengst or mann); they are fairly cheap and they work. I replace them every 5K miles and have never had a problem. I’m sure that 99.9% of all filters sold are just fine, regardless of brand.

A number of surveys indicate that a huge percentage of Americans still believe (mistakenly) that Saddam Hussein was a genuine threat to the US

Even though Cheney has come out publicly years ago that there were no WMD’s…people still believe that there were. My father-in-law is one. He’s convinced that Saddam had WMD’s…we just haven’t found them yet. Or they were destroyed when we invaded.

I do believe that Iraq is probably much better of without Saddam. He was a ruthless dictator. He should have been ousted. And if President Bush (I mean Chaney) said up front that is what they were doing…then I might have been OK with it. But it was one lie after another. No question these clowns are going down as the WORSE leaders the US has ever had. Clinton was bad…but these clowns are far far worse.

In Ohio a big corn state, you will have a lot of people want to believe that Ethanol will give the same mileage as gasoline, but it can’t, it has less energy per unit than gasoline, and a little 50? difference will never make up for the loss.

I find it interesting that in reality you will end up paying more tax as well to the state since you pay per gallon not per mile or ever per dollar.

I live in Ohio and I know the farm politics and they will keep trying to get that farm vote no matter what.

I don’t question the fact that Iraq is better-off without Saddam Hussein, but I do question the deaths and the disabling of so many of our young people in order to remove him.

But, since he was no worse in 2001 than he was 10 or 15 or 20 years earlier, then you have to ask yourself why Ronald Reagan considered him to be such a good buddy and why he armed Saddam Hussein to the teeth. (Yes, I know that it was an Iran vs. Iraq issue, but the fact remains that it was a very poor political decision that reverberates to our disadvantage even to this day.)

If the US is to be the policeman of the world (which I don’t think that we should be), then there is a very long list of dictators who should be removed, and several of them should have been higher on any list than Saddam was. Are we going to go into every country where there is an obnoxious dictator, in order to remove him? If so, our country will be at war for eternity.

Clearly, the issue was oil, IMHO. It is just a damn shame that so many of our young people had to die in this ill-fated venture that accomplished none of the goals except removing a dictator. And, the removal of that dictator created a power vacuum that allows the incredible bloodshed between Sunnis and Shias that continues to endanger our troops, as well as innocent civilians.

You’re making a HUGH assumption here…

Who is Hugh, and why is he making assumptions?

OK…OK…HUGE…

I agree with you VDC…The Iraq war is run just like Vietnam was. When I came home from Nam we were told NEVER AGAIN…Well here it is AGAIN. Innocent American lives lost. How can Bush/Chaney sleep at night…Well I do know how…It’s easy when you’re A-Moral.

Many years ago I had a Fram leak at the seam. It’s been OEM (Honda, Toyota) for me ever since.

"I like the idea of supporting US farmers instead of supporting the oil companies. I say go for it. "

I do that by riding a bike to work and eating corn on the cob. Mmmm-mmmmm!

It really isn’t that different from people who support labor unions. Buying unionized goods and services will certainly cost more. In some cases, union-made goods can be inferior to non-union goods (and vice versa, of course). Yet those who support labor unions do it anyway because they still have good reasons to support their own.

If I grew corn or lived where it is grown, buying E85 would cost more pre mile, but use of E85 would drive up the price of corn, which would be good for the whole agricultural community, not just the corn farmers.

Much of the corn grown is not used for human consumption anyway. It is genetically modified for specific uses.