DUIs and bicycles

A good bicycle going down a long hill can reach 35 MPH, maybe even 40. I’ve done it. You better hope you don’t get a red light at the bottom of the hill though.

…or call a damn taxi. A taxi ride is always cheaper than a DUI or DWI charge.

Montana is currently running an anti-drunk driving commercial where a drunk guy rides a horse home from a bar and the horse is following all the “rules of the road”. I have not see it I just read about some anti-drunk driving group not liking the add. It seems drunk horse riding is perfectly legal in MT.

"I hope you framed the ticket you got for speeding on a bicycle. Anyone can be stopped for speeding in a motor vehicle, but it is a real achievement to be stopped for speeding on a bicycle.“
It was down hill in prep for a very steep up hill in the middle of town which I had no intention of walking. PO seemed understanding and “did not” write me a summons. Like all law-abiders, I did take it to heart and was more careful. Speeds greater than 35mph are doers in the egg shell and tucked kneed position. I can’t imagine drunks surviving on potholed streets with 1” wide touring tires.

I read in the paper recently where some guy got a DUI for riding a HORSE while drunk! I don’t recall the state.

Speaking as a cyclist, I think anyone riding a bicycle while drunk should get cited. A drunk on a bicycle in a traffic lane can be extremely dangerous and can get himself or someone else killed. I rode for years, and would never ride with a drunk. And out of concern for the rest of us who rode as well as for the motorists, I’d call 911 if I ever saw someone riding the roads drunk. It truely is a serious and dangerous hazard.

Speaking as a cyclist, I think anyone riding a bicycle while drunk should get cited. A drunk on a bicycle in a traffic lane can be extremely dangerous and can get himself or someone else killed

Walk in Boston during the summer and try NOT to get hit by one of the bicycle Currier’s. I’ve been hit twice by them…the last time I saw it coming and braced myself…sending the jerk over his handlebars and into the hospital AND a police visit. I’d HATE to see one of those jerks doing it while under the influence. They’re bad enough sober.

All this makes me wonder if anyone in Alaska was ever arrested for being DUI while operating a dog sled.

Ouch!

My son worked as a bicycle currier in college…in Boston. He never hit anyone, however. But in any population there’re going to be some irresponsible members, and getting hit by a bicycle can absolutely be dangerous.

Yea…I agree not all of them are jerks…but those few can make life hell. The last time I was with my daughter…who’s NOT very big (5’7…120)…we were walking down Washington St…and the jerk tried to split us instead of slowing down and going around…I had to push my daughter out of the way and then braced myself for the impact…He spun me around, but I managed to stay on my feet…and my daughter ended up on her butt, but unhurt. I think he was actually racing another currier… because I saw another one across the street speeding away and yelling at the jerk who was now on the sidewalk bleeding and a broken collarbone. A cop was walking 10’ behind us and saw the whole thing.

I’m not sure, but I think alchohol is illegal in Alaska.

I was watching “Flying Wild Alaska” and the police arrested some guy who had {unopenned} bottles of liquor. {He wasn’t a pilot} Does anyone know what the laws are up there?

It is probably native American (or mabe more correctly said indigeous inhabitants) reservation land where the members of the “Nation” that live on their reservation have decided to prohibit alcohol in or on the area under their control.

In other words,the entire state of Alaska is not dry.

Drinking is the state sport of Alaska, sadly all too popular with the original people (though not all of them of course). The cute girl flies the plane from time to time but she’s not a pilot. There’s only one Indian reservation in Alaska, pop. 1,421.

Maybe the guy just had alcohol somewhere he shouldn’t have, like a post office.

Even a cheap bike can go nearly 40 down a long hill without the rider even pedaling. It’s going back up the hill where the featherweight carbon fiber and unobtainium bikes go fast.

I put a max speed of 40.1 mph on my handheld gps while snow skiing this winter.

“Even a cheap bike can go nearly 40 down a long hill without the rider even pedaling. It’s going back up the hill where the featherweight carbon fiber and unobtainium bikes go fast.”

I’ve broken the speed limit going UPhill (it was a short hill) on a chrome moly bike. Light frames are for the super elite riders.

“I put a max speed of 40.1 mph on my handheld gps while snow skiing this winter.”

What’s the relevance? You were sliding downhill on ice and not going superfast.

“What’s the relevance? You were sliding downhill on ice and not going superfast.”

Skis sliding on snow have a lot more friction than bicycle tires on pavement, perhaps not everyone knows this, but if it can be done on skis then it certainly can be done with a bike.

Here’s how the Manual for Courts-Martial defines a vehicle:
?Vehicle? as including all means of land transportation. The word ?vehicle? includes every description of carriage or other artificial contrivance used or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land.

Roller skates, bicycles, wheelchairs would be included, then. Here is where prosecutors and judges should exercise discretion. A disabled veteran rolling around the VFW Lodge in his wheelchair with an open beer in his hand should probably not be charged or tried. The guy with a BAC of .180 and who is weaving in and out of traffic on a bicycle on Colfax Avenue in Denver probably should.

At Fort Wainwright, Alaska the speed limit in the housing areas is 15 MPH. An MP, who happened to be a friend of mine, saw me riding down my street and aimed the radar gun at me just for kicks to see if the it would pick me up. It did, and he pulled me over for doing 25 in a 15 zone. He didn’t give me a ticket, but gave me a hard time about ever time we saw each other afterward. On a good bike - I favor Cannondales - 25, 35 even 40 mph isn’t all that hard. And on steep, smooth hills - such as Monument Hill north of Colorado Springs - I have reached an alarming 60 mph.

[quote]A good bicycle going down a long hill can reach 35 MPH, maybe even 40.

Tour de France - Those guys hit speeds over over 60mph…I wouldn’t take my car down those hills at 60.

We used to debate this when I lived in PA near Amish country…I recall a story (possibly apocryphal) about a guy who got cited; he had passed out but the horse knew the route home.

Texans being, of course, better people than furriners, they used to not have a problem with the idea of a bottle of red-eye in the car. Then a whole bunch of people moved to Texas from Up Nawth, and they didn’t understand the difference between driving while drinking, and driving drunk. There got to be so many of them, the legislature finally threw up their hands and said you can’t have a bottle of red-eye in the car anymore. Hic. ‘s a cryin’ shame.