Drove car 2 miles without coolant, foul play suspected

@ok4450 Your “religious” neighbor sounds to me more like “the neighbor from hell”. Friends of ours, before they moved, lived next door to a house the owner had bought for his teenage son, who invited 6 other male teenagers to live with him. This place had loud parties regularly with minimal outside care and maintenance or the property.

@ok4450 … great story, couldn’t help to laugh, envisioning the scene you describe, the “anything for a buck” 14 year old girl throwing the ice water on you, running away like mad, and you, just a poor guy in his own yard, just trying to fix his car so he can make it to work the next day. Would make for a good scene in a comedy movie.

@db4690 … I had the same problem one time, a neighbor parking in front of my place, when there was a parking spot in front of his own available and free for the taking. My solution, I just starting parking my 40 year old truck in front of his place whenever his new Mercedes car was parked in front of mine. Apparently he decided if you had to have a car parked in front of his place, it was better a new Mercedes than a 40 year old truck. Problem solved within a week.

FWIW, I swapped out the hose clamps today and noticed the old, rusty one was already starting back off.

So I’ve solved the mystery…no foul play involved, just a lesson about the folly of re-using hose clamps!

With the car being started with a cold engine and only running a couple miles I doubt there was any damage.

When I lived in NC I had a neighbor that raced stock cars and it wasn’t uncommon for him to have them started and racing the engines during the daytime/early evening which wasn’t a problem. Before he started racing we’d lived next door to one another for 15 years without any problems. A couple years after he started racing he started firing them up at 1or 2am when my wife had to get up at 5am to get ready for work. I called the sheriff and had them come out for a visit, and he denied having done it. This went on for awhile happening during the late night/early morning hours with the police never doing anything. I finally just started calling the police every time he started them day or night. I spoke with other neighbors that were unhappy too, but wouldn’t make a complaint. He had a good thing with no problems until he started running them late night/early morning, I guess he finally got tired of the cops showing up every time he started them and seldom ever started them day or night. One officer got mad at me for calling every time he started them and said he was going to arrest me for making a false report if I didn’t stop calling, as soon as the officer left I went in the house and called the sheriff, with the officer’s name and told him what I’d been told, he said he’d take care of the problem with officer and if I had anymore problems not to hesitate to call. This was the first and only problem I’ve had with any of my neighbors concerning cars and working on them.

We have a driveway, and occasionally park in the street, but never minded neighbors parking in front of our house, cause if both cars are gone, it looks like somebody is home. @meanjoe75fan I was going to say loose clamp and shrunken hose add pressure and probable scenario for a hose to blow off and would not jump to foul play. Now if I could only get the city to fix raining peices of soffit.