Driving from mild to harsh winter climate

I second the motion for good winter tires mounted on their own rims. In the old days of rear wheel drive, we put snow tires on the rear wheels. I had a set of snow tires that I had used for six or seven seasons that I first used on a 1965 Rambler and then used them on the next car–a 1971 Ford Maverick. I was returning home on slick roads and the rear end of the Maverick was hard to control. Everyone else was passing me and didn’t seem to be having any problem. When I got back home, I looked at the rear tires. Only the outline of the tread was visible–I hadn’t check them thoroughly when I installed them and didn’t realize that I had little tread. I did get a good price on a new pair of snow tires.
I am in the midwest and haven’t really needed anything more than the all season tires with the front wheel drive vehicles that I now own. However, if I were going further north, I would have 4 winter tires mounted on separate rims for winter use.

This winter has been very mild. You will be staying near the Legends shopping area across from the race track. You have a good choice of restaurants and a good amount of shopping opportunities. I live about ten miles west of the area and enjoy the variety of food that the Legends area provides. One of Kansas City’s legendary BBQ places, Arthur Bryant’s, has a location there. Their beef brisket is my favorite.

Gas prices will be cheaper as you enter the Missouri side. Platte City is a good place to fill up as you go north.

Will be glad to answer any questions you may have about the area itself.

I’ve lived in northern Wisconsin all my life and have never had anything but all season tires. Just don’t drive like an idiot and you"ll be fine. This is not some unexplored wasteland you are heading into. The roads are quickly plowed and salted. Drifting is the only real problem and no tires are going to make an difference with them.

The main roads should be ok; for certain if there is no storm in progress or recently passed. I do winter driving in upper midwest states with whatever tires are on the car. If things get tough, just stay in a motel an extra night until the storm passes. Even if you have the best of tires, driving in a snowstorm is a lot of work; no fun at all.

Oh and a couple of comments about a harsh climate: In the upper midwest, we have more days each year that can be comfortably spent outside compared to the deep southern US. I can wear enough to keep warm but you can’t take enough clothes off to stay cool.

Ah ha, that’s why you’re going to ND. I hope they have a place for you to stay. Housing is in very short supply due to all the additional oil workers up there. I hear people are living in their cars. On the news tonight they said Walmart is kicking the trailers out of their parking lot now too.

" just stay in a motel an extra night "

Just remember to stop early enough to get a room.  Since I did a lot of driving in the midwest, I know that if you want to have a room when they close off the roads, stop before they close them off.  I have seen a lot of people sleeping in the hallways outside my room.   I have also been asked to make breakfast when the staff for the restaurant  did not show up in the morning. 

Lucky for me, I was paid the same if I was at my destination doing my job, or stuck in a motel watching TV.  

For your own safety and for your comfort, don't try and be superman, when the weather is too much or looks like it is going to be bad, find a safe harbor.

Winter tires a wonderful in cruddy conditions and make drives much easier.

At the same time they can get you further into deeper trouble or worst conditions. If its bad out just wait till plows clear.

Either way on your tires you should be fine as mild as this winters been, and sounds like it’s supposed to continue. Just frequently check weather reports so you won’t be caught off guard if something develops along the way. I-29 should be a good stretch of road as much new const. there was on it this past summer. (at least here in SD)