Driving bailout plan

IF
If you’re currently driving and begin to encounter these slick conditions anew…
— you are correct in thinking to drive over to one side …off line of normal.
That’s where the rough stuff is and some new traction can be found …’‘over there’’ where the stones and gravel get kicked durring regular traffic.

I’ve played that card in many situations and it IS a life saver to find traction when 99% of other drivers have none or can’t seem to find it. I’ve even used the curbs to assist in traction.

On a clear day , take a little walk. Neighborhood street or thoroughfare, either one traffic permitting. Look at the road surface…where everyone drives first , then over by the edge you’re talking about. See the differnce ? There’s a LOT more gravel and debris over at the side and THAT is your saving grace in slippery conditions.

By the way, this morning was a beautiful 28 and will top out at about 68. We’ll see 70 by this weekend and one of my mechanics is wearing SHORTS today.

Yeah @shadowfax I agree. One morning it was pretty bad and were heading into Minneapolis. Three or four lanes one way there. Probably going about 20-30 and no way to stop. There were a couple spin outs dead ahead blocking two right lanes and then another that ended up against the Jersey barrier on the left. So I had one clear lane to try and manuever through steady as she goes, but then this idiot lady opens her door into traffic and gets out. I missed everything and the lady that was riding with me was white as a sheet, but that could have been very bad for the pedestrian. Why do they do that? Don’t even look to see what is happening around them and just think they’ve got to walk around on the freeway in icy conditions.

Yeah @barkydog, I forgot other emergency and medical workers, like police, nurses and infrastructure.
People who keep us from reverting to the 19th century or earlier.

I have gained an appreciation for the number of people that have mission essential jobs.

Like Robert Gift . . .

My wife is a nurse.
does she drive to the hospital when they call her in ?
When she gets the call, here’s what she says…’’ Take me to work, you know how to drive in this sshh-tuff.’’

The Northwest gets hit occasionally. It started snowing last Thursday and I stayed home until Tuesday. 4 1/2 inches ground clearance does not work with 12 inches of snow with 1/2 inch of ice on top.

@shadowfax Excellent advice. We had 2 major pileups 27 and 28 vehicles involved on I-5. Traffic was backed up for miles. Dozens of idiots got out and walked to the accident so they could take photos with their stupid phones!