Driving a car continuously on road trips

@MarkMcG - thanks for a good laugh, if you’ve seen my post about my hybrid, I’ve needed one!

Just tell your friends that you are an engineer and engineers are always right! (I’m an engineer, I know… just ask my wife :wink: ) That argument makes as much sense as anything your friends have said to convince you that the car needs a “rest.”

Who owns the car?

@Jojk has left the building…

If these people do not even want to listen to your opinion, and want “web articles” for you to prove your point… why are you going to spend 2 days in a car with them? They do not sound like friends, they sound like jerks.

Make sure you have your own transport home, you may not be talking to them after the 2 day drive.

I remember reading a biography of a famous WWII fighter pilot, whose famous name I forget. When he was in flight school in Florida, every weekend he would drive his car to New England to see his g/f, visit her for one hour then return to school.

Once, something happened and he was late getting back. For some reason the school was shut down and he continued in school.

That was around the early 40’s, with cars of that era.

@triedaq I imagine your wifey is less gullible than mine, and even my wife would pull the bogus card.

Hmmm, I wonder how the pilot got gas and tire ration coupons to make the trip each week. My Dad used to tell the story of how he had to go to the area commander to get permission to buy tires so that he could make the trip from Wisconsin to Minnesota to see his daughter. Gas was equally hard to come by.

I think what we missed though is that “Daddy said so” and that makes it true regardless of any facts to the contrary. If you’ve ever tried to go up against what Daddy says, its kind of a lost cause. After 40 years I’m still trying to convince the wife it is a good idea to track the stocks because Daddy said to just buy and never look at the market.

I thought of something this weekend that the OP should consider.

When you’re driving your car at full operating temperature, and you pull over and stop, the engine temperature temporarily spikes when the cooling system shuts off. It’s not a big enough concern to change the way you drive, but it does demonstrate how foolhardy it is to stop driving just to let the car “rest.”

When I pull off to a highway rest stop I let the engine idle for a minute.
Let the oil and coolant cool off any hot-spots.
Only when going from 60+mph right to a stop.
Got this advice from Smokey Yunick.

If you can sit and sleep in a car that is in constant motion for that long good luck to you. I think it’s unsafe for you and everyone else on the road around you.

Where I live I read all of the time about drivers on their way to the beach resort towns that fall asleep and get killed trying to push limit, most people don’t have the experience of driving like that nor the resilience that a NASCAR driver has.

Also I think the tires under a load can get overheated and fail even tires that are properly inflated, especially this time of year.

Tires that are in good enough shape for a road trip and are properly inflated are designed to withstand these temperatures.

do what you want. it really doesn’t matter. just enjoy life as there is no right answer.

just do please pull of the road before fatigue hits you hard as i don’t want you killing my neighbor or friends…or myself for that matter.

enjoy…your car can take it.

KaaTalk wrote:
Also I think the tires under a load can get overheated and fail even tires that are properly inflated, especially this time of year.

I disagree. If the tires are properly inflated and not overloaded, they should hold up. Otherwise, the tire companies would be getting sued left and right, not to mention that Germany would be littered with crashed cars, as they run their tires much closer to the maximum speed ratings than we do.

quote from circuitsmith “Got this advice from Smokey Yunick.”

Smoky often went against the grain, and often exposed common misconceptions like “compression braking”, but I always though he was right. I think he was the smartest “writer/mechanic” there ever was and I kind of suspected that he might have an engineering degree somewhere.