Downshifting a CVT

TSM- it was meant to be a humorous poke at the recurring admonishments to any practice that might shorten the life of your transmission; engine braking, downshifting etc.

Like most humor, it’s only funny if it has some basis in reality. The unintended consequence of prolonging the life of something is that the people who rely on selling those things will continue to reduce their robustness if they are deemed to be over designed. A viscious cycle.

There are people who will not use their turn signals because they might burn out and have to be replaced. Their cars go to the junkyard with the original lamps in them.

I find no greater pleasure than driving my vintage muscle cars and engine braking a big block rather than the quiet of the wheel brakes slowing the car. Granted, it uses up the transmission faster than it would if I used the brakes but everything has to die sometime. In the meantime, I want to enjoy it and use it for what it is. Like the guy who does nothing adventurous or dangerous for his entire life, dies at a ripe old age without a single scar and they say- sure makes a good looking corpse. My stuff lives a tough life and perhaps goes to the grave a bit earlier but completely used up and a heck of a lot of fun was had in the process!

Same,
I agree 100% Washington is ultimately responsible, but, in the same way they were ultimately responsible for longer lasting exhaust systems through mandated polution controls lasting “x” number of miles, abs, stability control etc. I also agree that in general, the CVT is not up to the standard of a good truck auto. But, they do help efficiency which does result in a Honda Accord getting 40 mpg highway.

Still, exactly like you and for the same reason, I shied away from a CVT 4 cylinder Outback, which I would have considered with a gear. I think they are reliable in cars that are reliable but I still do some towing with my 4 cylinder awd cars as well as the truck. Imho, i am not willing to buy one that sees more stress. .I will have no problem with a Toyota or Honda compact with a CVT. So, IMO they are ready for prime time in some vehicles, but not others.

As Far as the guys in Washington are concerned…some times good things do happen as a result of their legislation…?.usually by accident. Our cups now run ith over !

So if Washington wasn’t driving the auto industry the auto makers would still be putting in 3-speed turbo-hydramatics?

Would we still be going to Midas for our yearly exhaust system replacement ? Economy will always be a driving force as it was before the govt. took over mandating everything from seats to motors. Economy brought us the Vega…wonderful car and an example of Detroit’s answer to high mileage by replacing higher gas bills with higher repair bills.

You’ve probably answered the question by now but here is another input.

I’d check your owner’s manual for information on using the low setting.
On our CVT, the low setting maintains the speed where we downshifted on a light downhill grade. It seems to have no effect on braking or on snow (your setup may be different).

I’m not a mechanic and know little about CVTs. So, this is a simple owner’s account:
I’ve been downshifting regularly (on turns or for sudden stops or in rush hour stop-and-go traffic) since I bought my Caliber (almost) new years ago. I’ve had no trouble with the transmission; I’ve also never had a brake job (though I have them checked regularly). 148,000 miles now. No other mechanical issues other than front end rebuild and speed sensors (for cruise control). What I do have is an expert mechanic to check and service it regularly (he’s the type who can listen to the engine and tell you what’s wrong with it.)

CVTs have become a little more common in the 3 years since this post was originally made. I personally wouldn’t have a problem “downshifting” one. All it does is slide the band along the cone. Big deal.

Of course, I don’t have a problem downshifting a regular manual transmission, but that’s because I rev-match and double clutch when I do, so I’m not causing abnormal wear on it like the guys who just dump the clutch and lurch the car to a stop do.

Look up “Old Priest Grade” near Yosemite in northern California. The grade is up to 18%. I drove up and down it last month and I promise you that using brakes alone I would have made a smoking mess out of the pads and rotors. The CVT transmission on the rental car, in first gear, did an outstanding job of maintaining proper speed on the downgrade.

Exactly. I used to live in the Rockies. Everyone used engine braking because no one wanted to do a brake job every month.

On a long, steep downhill, downshifting the transmission to a lower gear allows engine braking to help slow a car without over using the brakes. Truckers with big rigs do this all the time because the brakes on heavy rigs are not strong enough to sufficiently slow a heavy truck and can actually fail unless you downshift the transmission to a lower gear. Cars are the same thing, downshifting saves your brakes and gives you better control when going down a long, steep hill. These people who won’t downshift because “repairing a transmission is more expensive than getting new brakes” are idiots! You have much better control of your car by downshifting rather than relying only on your brakes which could actually fail if the hill is long and steep enough.

Shouldn’t that be ( brakes are cheaper than repairing a transmission ) ?

1 Like

You are right, I’ve got it backwards. I meant to say these people who won’t downshift say that
“transmission repairs are more expensive than getting new brakes.” Brakes can and will fail when going down a very steep hill without downshifting, ask any trucker.

Can’t speak to the CVT downshifting issue, but downshifting a manual transmission can make it much easier to merge with other traffic, even just to slow from 45 mph to 30 mph as you exit down the freeway off-ramp. For example if you need to speed up to allow another car space to get in behind you, or you want to to merge into another lane, or worse, avoid a collision from somebody trying to merge into your lane, the transmission is already in the right gear, full power available, so all you need to do is step on the gas. Manual transmissions are pretty robust , I’ve downshifted since I first learned to drive, and I’ve never had one fail or even needed to replace the clutch. I do use the double clutch method, which reduces the downshifting forces on the transmission and clutch. Not double-clutching could conceivably make the equation different as it would stress both the clutch and synchronizers a little more.