Does waxing your car ruin the factory clear coat?

when I was a teenager my dad used to wax his truck with this stuff. It’s not even for cars, instead for waxing those electrical insulators you see on high voltage power lines. I’m not sure why they need to be waxed, but apparently they do. I tried using it on my 62 Galaxy, but it was such a huge job to get it off after being applied, that was a one-time event. But I do admit that once polished in, it held up really well to repeated washings, better than the easy one easy off stuff I’ve used since.

http://www.collinite.com/industrial-wax/insulator-paste-wax-protector/

You can get the Safety Data Sheet at the Collinite web site. That should give you a good idea what is in it. I would also guess that the electrical insulators were not polished. They offer it for industrial, automotive, and marine uses. I don’t know if the mix changes for different applications, but it might.

With respect to your dad, I would recommend against using anything that wasn’t formulated for cars. With all the good choices available that are, why take the risk?

Do you still have this car ? Looks very nice.

Well how did you know what I’m doing? Finished clay bar, then machine polish, then halfway done with machine sealant before wax. I’ll probably have to finish tomorrow. If you want to protect your clear coat, that’s what you do. I do it twice a year. I don’t know what they do on the island.

Old post and mountainbike has gone mia but to answer George’s curiosity, dirt accumulating on the surface of the ceramic reduces the creepage distance across the surface, adversely impacting the high voltage dielectric properties. That’s also why the ceramics have those ribs. The insulator may only be 2 feet long but if you measure across the surface with all those undulations, it is more like 4 feet of surface between the ends. That is creepage distance for high voltage and it needs to be able to withstand the voltage potential across it. Dirt accumulation reduces the effectiveness and shortens the path leading to parasitic drains on the high tension lines.

I believe Mountain Bike passed away some time ago. I definitely miss his posts here.

Progress report. All done except windows and polishing the lights. Looks great. We need rain though so I did my part.

1 Like

MountainBike intentionally left this forum a few years ago after getting insulted during an intense disagreement with another contributor here.

Some here say he passed away, but those claims were never backed up with any evidence. It’s not why he stopped contributing to this forum. When OK4450 stopped contributing, it was easy to find his obituary.