Does a standard make you into a better driver? Or just experience? Or Both

Why don’t you drive a stick again and tell us the answer, For me it is virtually no different.

I also don’t think that it makes a difference in safety. We have two cars with manuals; one with automatic. I can’t detect any difference and have no problem with or complaint about driving a manual in city traffic. Every time I look at new cars, the manuals have a higher EPA fuel mileage number. If you buy new and run the car to the end of its life, a manual can save big money. A thousand or so less to buy when new, better gas mileage plus stronger acceleration.

If you consider driving a manual “work” than you simply do not how to drive one. I have been driving them for 20 years and do not even think about switching gears or anticipating etc. It is second nature.

I have yet to drive any automatic vehicle I like including a BMW M5. It was simply not engaging enough.

Jeff:
if you are still reading this, it sounds like someone gave you good advice (and you took it to heart) when you were learning to drive/shift/clutch.

although this didn’t answer your your main question, i saw the opportunity to make an observation about your general driving skills and habits.

the attributes you describe escape most of the drivers out there… things like looking out ahead, planning, slowing down early, anticipation, etc etc etc. just that you are aware of them is a HUGE ability/benefit. how you use your transmission and brakes is of course up to you, but most drivers don’t even think about how to efficiently drive, accelerate, brake and steer.

whether this is due to your age, maturity or just luck is debatable. be satisfied that you are even aware of it. but don’t let it go to your head!

with so many drivers nowadays it is amazing that you didn’t mention tuning the ipod, brushing your teeth, doing homework or talking on the phone while driving as being difficult to do with a stick too.

good luck. and i drive two sticks and two automatics, so i do understand the difference!

anyone who thinks a manual is fun must live a very dull life.
to annswer the OP’s question, he-- no, a manual does not make a better driver.

Okay, not sure this qualifies as a “flame,” but a solid dissenting opinion!

First (and most importantly), in an AT, losing either your starter or (most of) your battery constitutes a “single point failure.” SPFs are bad things, engineering-wise, because they allow ONE failed system to strand you. (Supposedly you can–with enough hill–get an AT going “scary fast” to accomplish the same thing: I wouldn’t know, or be inclined to try).

Second, if you desire to keep your cars as long as possible, an AT has TWO expensive parts that can total the car; a MT, but one. (On my dearly-departed '85 Camry, it would’ve cost more to rebuild the AT than the engine!)

Finally, if you can find one, you can generally pick up a used “non-enthusiast” model with a MT at a fraction of the cost of an AT.

Thanks Cappy! Sounds like we’re on the same page.

They ARE making FEWER manual transmissions in the US and Canada ONLY.

Most other parts of the world standards are available in almost every model. Many vehicles are offered as standards in Europe and South American that are NOT offered as standards here in the US or Canada.

As for work…BULL…Once you get to know how to drive a standard it becomes second nature. I can’t tell you how many times I’m driving on the highway doing 70 and I don’t ever remember shifting from 1st through 5th. I only get to drive a standard when my daughter comes visits (about once a month) with my old 98 Pathy. And it’s still second nature to me.

My wife broke her left foot and tried operating the clutch pedal with one of her crutches. The aluminum crutch threatened to bend, so she had to use both crutches on the clutch pedal. This is called “double crutching”.

Obviously there would be exceptions. However driving is a privilege, not a right. In this country all you need is a pulse and one good eye to get a license. IMO we should have stricter standards for getting a license. Very few people in this country exhibit proper lane discipline for example. Forget world peace; envision using your turn signal. I’m as patriotic as the next guy, but I will admit that when it comes to driving the Germans and Finnish are in a class by themselves. Probably because in those countries you don’t just walk into a DMV pay $20 and get your picture taken.

There is absolutely no safety advantage of automatic over manual and vice versa. And neither makes you a “better” driver.

not at all. A manual is much more fun to drive. I get enjoyment out of many things, not dull at all. And yes, it forces you to be a better driver, because as you learn, you are forced to know more about what your car and traffic is doing. By the time you are adept, and shifting is “second nature” the lessons about paying more attention are also second nature.

Towing? Manual every time. Ever seen a tranny cooler on a manual? Ever seen an auto without one? Towing increases the heat output in an AT, unless you ride the clutch (and once moving, you won’t) in the MT, it stays cool and doesn’t slip. How good is engine braking in an AT? Not much, in a manual? Quite good, keeping the brakes cool and working.
City Traffic? I’m going with neither, walk or bike :slight_smile:

Towing? Manual every time…

WRONG…

An Auto for cars or light trucks has a much higher towing capacity then a manual. It’s NOT the gearing that’s a problem with a manual…it’s the CLUTCH. My 98 pathy 5-speed manual has a 3500lb towing capacity (class II). With the automatic…5000lbs (class III).

“Double Crutching”. That’s a hoot! Ha ha ha

i would agree that drving a manual forces you to be more engaged in driving. i personally feel that i am more engaged in my car, so i know sooner when somethign goes wrong. it allows for (as opposed to causes) better gas mileage.
i know that when i drive an automatic, i feel less in control of the car, and my drving suffers for it (i’ve only been driving for about 3 years, and owned a car for 2. more than 75% of that time has been spent in a manual)
i would summarize to say that drving a manual doesn’t cause you to be a better driver, but definately encourages it.

You may be driving smoother because of your having learned on a stick, but there’s really no data out there that proves it. We’ve had a few really lengthy threads on the subject. Your points suggesting the reasons you may drive smoother because of it are excellent, by the way.

They’re making proportionally more automatics today IMHO for the same reason all the vehicles on the lot have option packages…they’re added revenue, more profit. Manufacturers don’t really care what we want, only what we’re willing to buy.

I agree that the the constant management of a manual makes a driver more focused on driving. So with the limits of this topic, I’d say “yes, an MT does make better drivers.”

However, the notion that wetware is controlling anything in a car is quaint, and I view automation in cars as a very good thing. There’s plenty for me to worry about, keeping the engine in its happy place is not one of them. So on my commute, I want it to do its own thing, perhaps with me biasing the selection. And when I’m …shall we say “in a hurry”…I want to pick the gear myself.

So, for now, it’s an MT for me. And my mpg>30% over the factory, while still getting there on time. So I must be doing some things right.

Yeah, I woke up one time at a town and didn’t remember going thru the last town. But I was driving an automatic, always have and always will.

"Automatics are BORING! Real drivers heel-toe and rev match. Flame-on! I used to have an old beater truck that I would rev match and shift without the clutch. That was fun."
I remember when my Dad had a model T Ford that had a crank on the engine, now that was fun.