Distracted driving will not change

bscar, sounds like your mother is a perfectly average driver,
as opposed to us ‘car people’ who post on this board.

A lesson for all of us as to the signs to watch for as our parents age yet still expect to be able to drive.
then later in life when it’s our turn.

When is too old ? I think it’s in the person’s functionability for the task at hand.

Actually, it was my grandma who taught me how to drive. My mom started out, but she was too nervous, which made me more nervous as well. I can remember her pointing out there was a plane in the sky overhead, and I actually started looking for it, which caused me to veer all over the road, and her telling me to watch where I was going; thankfully it was a back country road and no other traffic around.
I was pretty nervous about getting behind the wheel when I was 16, and it wasn’t until I landed a job and almost 19 years old before I decided I needed to get my own car/license.

In the expensive cars of the 1920s and 1930s, the chauffer rode out in the open and the passengers rode isolated in the cabin. Limosines today isolate the passengers from the driver. Take away cell phones and the like from the chauffer and maybe the drivers won’t be distracted.