Diesel trucks that "Roll Coal"

The state and local police are pretty active in Maryland. If they see anything wrong on your car, like running or brake lights out, they will cite you. IMO, if they are that severe on lights, they will stop the smoking diesels too. I don’t recall the last time I saw anyone rolling coal here, and I get into rural areas at least every other week to see the in-laws.

So if your main problem is staring at you in the mirror, then moving won’t do any good . . . :thinking:

You’ll just take your problem . . . aka yourself . . . along with you :smirk:

They do here

Smog inspections for the smaller ones

Opacity inspections for the larger ones

As far as moving goes, I was listening to a program a week or so ago on the shortage of skilled workers. I actually don’t have the foggiest idea what program I was listening to, but at any rate they were talking about how kids going to a two year vo-tec program can come out with a good wage and little debt. One program he talked about had a 100% placement record and they were starting out at about $60K. I took a youtube tour of a seconding outfit in Rockford that said he just couldn’t get help to run the machines.

We take care of a little country cemetery and I needed to talk to the kid that has the adjacent acreage so we could use his land for some tree issues. He’s one of those mudders and has built a track complete with mud holes to drive around in. He was extremely nice and accommodating. Just because he doesn’t spend his money or time like I do, doesn’t mean he is a less important of a person.

When I was growing up, we lived in an old house in the country. My dad was completing his Ph.D., and without that degree his salary at the college where he taught was really low. My maternal grandmother lived with us and my dad was sending what little he could spare to help out his own father. I attended a country school which housed grades 1 through 12 through 8th grade. The school was in a farming community where there were full time farmers and part time farmers who supplemented their income by working in the factories. The school also took three busloads of kids from an urban school corp that was overcrowded and my school district needed the money it received from the urban school district. Needless to say, we had students from the roughest part of the urban corporation. Yet, it.all worked because the country school instilled a real work ethic. I was taught both at school and at home to respect people. I remember that my dad was part of a team to canvas the school district on a consolidation issue. I only rode along with him once. I had to wait in the car while he talked to people. In my part of Indiana, you didn’t just go to the door–you were invited in. My dad spent up to half an hour at each place talking to people.
When I was ready for high school, the school had a teacher shortage, so my mom was employed to teach in the school and I was sent to a “city slicker” high school in town so my mom wouldn’t have me in class. That was a real culture shock to go to a school where many of the kids’ parents were executives in the plants where the parents of the country school kids worked as.laborers. I carried my country values with me. Some of my country school friends I have been able to keep in contact more than 60 years later. I resent the OP stereotyping us Hoosiers.

Well 40 years ago when automobile safety was becoming a big issue GM installed black boxes in the most popular vehicles in a region. Mississippians were strong on pickups and when the black boxes from severely wrecked late model Chevrolets began to show up at Detroit a common scenario was found. Time after time the last words recorded in the cab were, “here Bubba, hold my beer. Now watch this.”

LOL, thanks for the visual. :joy:

I am sorry I offended you. You seem to be one of the nicest, well spoken, highly educated and just all around nice guy there is.

Sometimes I get very angry at the 10 percent of people that act like idiots and forget about the 90 percent of nice Hoosiers.

It is really bad in my area, the drugs, the alcoholism, the absentee parents. It makes me really angry.

Its always been bad around here the difference now is meth and opiods have struck hard.

Alcohol has been just as damaging in this community IMHO.

It really makes me sad what the area has become. Very few people pride themselves in taking care of their property, the pride of ownership is gone.

I never have been out of the area much so I think it is just a local problem, but I am sure it is much more widespread.

Again I am sorry.

I don’t consider the boneheads Hoosiers. I call them Loosiers.

The Great State of Indiana is blessed to hove Triedaq as a resident.

@Rick_Rugerson Thank you for your comments and apology. I have seen a few “coal rollers” in my area–East Central Indiana. I wouldn’t want to spend my money on a truck like that.
I resent the fact that a political candidate for President of the U.S. referred to supporters of the other candidate as “A Basket of Deplorables”. I have neighbors who I like who supported the candidate. I like my neighbors, but I don’t think they are in “the basket of Deplorables” just because they have a different political perspective.
Our son went to work on an internship while he was in college in the economically poorest part of Kentucky. He liked working with the people so much that he went back to the region after college with s mission group. His pay was room and board and $45 a month.
There are good people everywhere in my opinion. My own area of east central Indiana has been hit hard by the auto industry closing parts factories and unemployment is high. People can’t leave because they can’t sell their houses on which they have mortgages. My guess is that the same problems may exist in your part of Indiana where the strip mines have closed.
I don’t leave my community. I earned a good living here and feel that it is now time to give back. I play in three musical organizations and write grants to support one of them so we can provide free concerts for the underserved areas. Besides I don’t play golf and don’t like shuffleboard, so there is no reason to go to Florida.

There are a great many honest, hard working people all across the country who after a lifetime of doing things right and respecting others find themselves trapped in an economic struggle and seeing no light at the end of the tunnel. And these days the highly charged partisan media is pumping up the angst into a mob like frenzy demonizing those who support the view contrary to the local status quo. I don’t know when or how the “in your face” rhetoric will end but it eventually will. In the mean time the burrs caught under the saddles and chips on the shoulders sure makes even friendly conversations difficult.

30 years ago I was a middle of the road Republican but today I’m a communist sympathizing Independent without changing my opinion on anything of any significance. Go figure.

Rick, please.

So basically overfuelling the engine causes the black smoke with no extra power being made.

I will attempt to calm it down. My direct manner causes me issues on facebook, here, with my wife, coworkers and family.

Its just how I am and I am in therapy.

Thank you Carolyn.

You are great btw…

My therapist has told me this.

He said if I move it may be “better” at first, but once i become habituated to the new environment the same complaints will come back.

Then I either jump back on the hedonic treadmill and move again or be miserable in my new location…

Yes, any time you see somebody ‘rolling coal’ you can be sure they’re not doing it for the power.

Yup, they’re doing it for the attention.

Rick, as you may know, Facebook depends on you getting angry. They analyze that and add stuff to your feed that gets you even more wound up. Facebook claims to be changing that, and we will see how that works out.