Did the UTOG standards change? UTQG

I plan on getting new tires this fall for two of my vehicles so I am looking tires available now to see which ones fit my needs best.

But I noticed something odd. Some of the new tires now have a traction rating of B where the model they are replacing had a rating of A. For example, the Michelin Defender LTX M/S had a traction rating of A where its newer brother, the Defender LTX M/S2 has a traction rating of B.

I looked at tirerack tests where these two tires were compared in a head to head competition. The newer tire out stopped the older one in dry and wet tests, though it did not do quite as good on snow and ice, but it was very close. IIRC the traction test for UTOG (edit: UTQG) is wet stopping distance.

I also noticed the newer tires seem to have significantly lower tread wear ratings.

UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) :wink:

May be because more and more manufactures are using bigger diameter lower profile (sidewall) wheels/tires for better handling and not much demand for the older UTQG ratings

Just like it is getting much harder to get 13 and 14 inch tires
 not much demand for them

1 Like

Could it be a harder tire for better mpg?

So B means more traction than A?

Sometimes B meant no traction at all. Yokohama Avid wasn’t much of a tire for .75 inches of snow. M&S meant nothing. I couldn’t go anywhere if there was a little uphill. I hate it when there is doubt about what you’re getting.

Interesting because I have been running those tires on several vehicles over the years and never had any trouble like you describe. Perhaps there is something to the combination of tire and vehicle that contributes to differences in performance

I’d suspect the manufacturer made a change to the tire formulation for whatever reason than the standards changed. Agree with @davesmopar reasoning

1 Like

For in depth discussion go to barrystiretech.com
“You made me look”, my Michelin Defender LTX are traction rated as A. I too wonder about the traction rating change. Perhaps a harder tread compound.

No, the UTQG rating standards have not changed. I go into more detail here: Barry’s Tire Tech: UTQG Ratings

Perhaps what has changed is the enforcement of the regulations. From time to time NHTSA will conduct verification tests and if they find something not according to the standard, they will contact the tire manufacturer to get a resolution. I’m not saying this happens frequently, but I do know of a situation where a traction rating was changed based on a NHTSA test without a recall, because the previous data indicated the tire passed - but barely.

I never said the UTQG ratings standards changed, only the tire manufacturing changed from the A to B ratings as in Keith’s example to keep up with the changing tire sizes and requirements
 More demand for performance over longer tire life and harder compound
 Not sure if I am explaining it right
 lol

+1
My 2002 Outback came from the factory with Bridgestone tires (I can’t currently recall the model name/number) which were–supposedly–“M&S” rated. Those tires were so treacherous on even a light coating of snow that I bought my first set of Michelin winter tires in order to be able to drive safely during the winter months.

Back when they came up with the ratings, it was for locked up skidding conditions on wet roads, cars today have anti-lock brakes so it’s not as accurate anymore.

I think some of you misunderstood me. I saw this with several brands of tires but I chose the Michelins to use as an example. The reason is that they tested the Michelin Defender LTX M/S vs the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, same size on the same vehicle.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=325

The M/S2 stopped shorter on the wet braking test than the M/S yet the M/S2 only has a B rating for traction.

As pointed out by @It_s-Me, the original test was pre-ABS. The vehicle used for the tire rack test had ABS. Maybe the new tires are tuned for ABS and don’t do as well without it.

Guess you just look for the snow flake on the tire if concerned with snow. I just get the Goodyear weather ready and excellent winter traction. Don’t know what they utog is.

I have noticed over the years that when tire manufacturers put a 2 or ll after a model name it is usually a cheaper tire trading on the name of a more expensive and better model.

1 Like

It’s what happens when typing on these ridiculous phones and tablets, lol!

I always say: ‘If God wanted us to type on a flat piece of glass or plastic, He would have made us that way!’ :joy:

Sometimes there are multiple versions of the same tire because OEM’s want a tire that wears better or is quieter when the car is new. Or a retailer wants access to a particular tire from a manufacturer but, for cost reasons, they spec it slightly differently, resulting in different UTQG ratings.

With the emphasis on fuel mileage, low profile tires, and super heavy (and big) vehicles, I think tire manufacturers are also evaluating which characteristics are most important to tire buyers. Tire buyers are often price driven, which necessarily means the tires they buy will have to have some compromises.

These are just my thoughts on the ever changing and differing UTQG ratings.

1 Like

This was my fault, not the laptops. Had a brain fart.

Always blame the technology -

never yourself!

A real man takes full responsibility for his actions and never blames it on someone or something else
 Respect to Mr Keith
 :wink: