Dewey Cheetham and Howe

The folks at NPR would say they need to always be looking forward to continue to attract new listeners. In my NPR area the replacement news-topic program failed to hold onto the listeners, and was moved to a different time slot or maybe by now eliminated entirely. . The current replacement program is more light-hearted & seems to be geared to the 20-something crowd. I find that one sort of interesting at times.

I expect NPR would be happy to reintroduce a new Car Talk. But finding the right broadcasting duo seems close to impossible.

+1
Itā€™s all about ratings, whether one is talking about commercial radio/TV or public radio/TV.

2 Likes

A few years ago, my local ā€œall news all the timeā€ radio station began running something that purported to be similar on Saturday afternoons. I tried listening to it a couple of times, but besides the hostsā€™ lack of appeal, it soon became obvious that it was mostly a very long commercial for a group of ā€œrecommendedā€ new car dealerships. There was a bit of automotive advice, but it occupied much less air time than their ā€œhappy talkā€ about particular dealerships.

I guess that I wasnā€™t the only one who failed to find that program appealing, because it disappeared after a few months. Itā€™s all about ratingsā€¦

1 Like

What was their address?
Can look at GooglEarth Street View.

The Three Stooges worked at DC&H.

A fellow organisthoughthathere was a Schmuck & Swain pipe organ companyears ago.
(Today there is a Swain & Kates Pipe Organs.)

I think it is located on the Harvard Campus.

No, it is located at Harvard Square, near the MBTA subway stop. Itā€™s not very far from the campus, but itā€™s definitely not located on campus.

lol ā€¦ Thanks for the correction. Iā€™ve always thought Harvard Square was located on the campus.

Iā€™ve taken the Boston tour a couple times but they never pointed that window out. Cheers yeah and graves, but not anything about nor. But as they say you are never famous in your own home town. Maybe too many former customers.

Close, but no cigar, George. :wink:
Itā€™s actually a few hundred feet from the perimeter of the Universityā€™s property.

Speaking of the subway reminds me of that song by (I think it was) the Kingston Trio

Oh he never returned, oh he never returned ā€¦ lol ā€¦

Most people have no idea why the subway pass in Boston is called ā€œThe Charlie Cardā€.

2 Likes

This might enlighten people who didnā€™t live in The Northeast, or who werenā€™t fans of The Kingston Trio. It all revolved around a fare increase on ā€œthe MTAā€, which involved dropping 10 cents upon entry, and another five cents when exiting. The subject of the song was ā€œCharlieā€:

1 Like

ā€˜And his fate is still unlearned.ā€™ Heā€™s on the train: couldnā€™t they have asked him? His wife threw him a sandwich every day. Couldnā€™t she have included a nickel? This was a protest of a fare rise in support of a mayoralty candidate in the late '40s.

This should explain all for the unititated:
M.T.A. (song) - Wikipedia.

Yeah, I always wondered why she didnā€™t ā€¦ lol ā€¦

Another of my favorite songs of that era Big Bad John. Something about a hammer I think. I spent a lot of quarters feeding jukeboxes on that one.

Thanks I knew the song but never the background. Often wondered what would happen on the tollway if you couldnā€™t pay at the end. No subways or tolls in Minnesota then.

The closest iā€™ve found to Car Talk is the Car Doctor radio show hosted by Ron Ananian The Car Doctor,

I found it through iTunes a few years ago, one of the crew is actually named Tom Ray. Itā€™s a 2hr show on Saturdayā€™s that is more like if only Ray had hosted the show. Similar format where people call in advance with questions then are selected to appear during the taping of each show.

1 Like

They often take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill including a processing fee. If itā€™s a rental car the rental company will forward it to you and add their own processing fee.

1 Like

The Boston MBTA CharlieCard

2 Likes

The ONLY rap song I ever liked. :grinning: