Dependabilty/Reliabilty - Suburu

Rolling off the lot when i bought it (new) both door windows fell into the door when trying to put them down. The ignition coils with have been replaced twice (once on recall). Complete engine air hose rebuild. Water pump replaced. Control arm bushings replaced. O2 sensor replaced. Taking it back in this weekend for a P0420 code which will probably mean a bad catalytic converter.

There is actually more but I can’t think of it off the top of my head. Its a 2002 w/ 94k miles. Kept up with all scheduled maintenance.

I’ve had my share of VW lemons. I could write a book. My mom is on her third Subaru and she has had great luck with them.

I can write an entire set of books about Subaru, Honda, and Nissan problems just like I could with VW and to a lesser extent; SAAB, Fiat, and a hint of Mazda.

The thing is that someone who owns a Whatsit and has good luck with it will seldom be heard from. The ones who don’t have good luck will be heard from; and loudly.
The glaring difference as to why my opinion always varies with the majority is that I’ve had to see these things come through the service dept. doors day in and day out for years.
In that situation you see all of the warts, both mechanical and administrative politics.

Let me put something this way and take it however you want. Out of all of the cars I’ve been involved with (first paragraph) by far the cars I’ve heard “Never buy a POS like this…” again is Subaru.
Perception put them behind the wheel originally; reality took them out. And that does not mean that Subaru is a bad car; it’s just not an exceptionally great one.