Dented wheels - ok to keep using?

Seriously, all of this should be covered along with a full evaluation of other possible damage by your comprehensive. You do have comprehensive, don’t you?

Yes, but with high deductible (2500). And I don’t care for the cosmetic scrapes and dents (which can still be costly to fix). So just going with fixing what really needs to be fixed and skipping the cosmetic items for now. Went with taking a check and fixing on own schedule and terms rather than a “repair all” coordinated with insurance at some shop, since there may be some amount paid out of pocket for everything if the shop doesn’t agree to the quoted repair cost (plus I still would have to subtract off the deductible portion).

If you have full coverage on this vehicle and 2500.00 deductible you need to check what the value of your vehicle is. You may be carrying insurance you can’t justify.

2 Likes

I sympathize and understand, but those wheels are damaged beyond the cosmetic category, They really aren’t safe.

It’s also very possible, even likely, that you have internal damage to at least one of the tires’ sidewalls. A tire shop cam check this out when the wheels are being changed. He’ll do a visual of the inside and probably want to put the tires (once mounted on new wheels) on a road force balance machine, which can detect internal tire damage better than a regular spin balance.

If the thief was caught, small claims court may be your only recourse… although the odds of his having been caught and the odds of his having any assets to tap are, I realize, both very small.

Good luck with this. And remember when considering the issue that your tires’ contact with the road are the only thing keeping your car from crashing. If your wheels don’t keep the rubber on the pavement in a stable manner, you seriously compromise your safety.

A regular here posted a great video of a wheel bouncing down the highway. It graphically illustrates loss of traction due to a wheel not rolling smoothly. While the subject in that thread was shocks, the principle is the same. I cannot remember who it was, but if you see this and still have the video, it sure would be great here.

Get the hub and axle looked at. You could have damage the wheel bearings,steering and suspension components on that side of the car.Don’t fix that wheel,replace it.

1 Like