Dear Car Talk Column about over-inflated tires

A few years back we bought a new Toyota. After getting the car home, I though the ride seemed hard. When I checked the tire pressure, they were all at the pressure stated on the sidewall of the tire.

1 Like

That happened to me with my '81 Chevy Citation.
I had ordered it with the “handling” suspension package, but during my drive home from the dealership I started to question that decision, due to the truck-like ride quality. When I checked the tire pressure the next morning, they were all inflated to 55 psi.

When I deflated them to my desired 3 psi over GM’s specs, the ride quality became very good, and I was convinced that opting for a firmer suspension had been a good decision.

1 Like

Since this forum does not have multi-quote, I will address both VDC’s and JoeMario’s situations here:

Joe: By “few years ago”, I will assume, for sake of argument, a 2020 model year Toyota.

VDC: I will assume you also bought your car, the Citation model, new.

Almost a forty year time span between your vehicles and your tire inflation experiences, so it seems nothing has changed, neither in the driveway, or as in your cases, at the dealer’s or garages in general.

I do not know if the ASE(Automotive Service Excellence) bar existed that long ago, but if it did, the individuals in charge of setting or checking the cold tire pressures on your new cars, pre-delivery, should have been flunked in the Wheels & Suspension section! As an aside, for fun, look up Ron White’s comedy skit “Lugnut Day”. A hoot for sure!

It is just as much a psychological or culture thing, as it might be education/ certification.

In general - in America at least - verbal or printed instructions or steps are often either ignored, not sought out, overlooked, or as typical of Yankee spirit, ballyhooed ("What, 32psi? That’s dumb, the tire has 35(or 44 or 50)psi on it!.).

This, more than any theory or concepts surrounding how tire pressures for vehicles are selected, needs to be studied and broken down. Seriously.

1 Like

Actually, it does.
:wink:

2 Likes

I have an elderly neighbor and she asks me to check her tire pressure once in a while. Very often I will find them over inflated!

She will say she had it at the Ford dealer for (whatever) last week. If there is any garage that should know the correct pressure you would think it would be the DEALER! Her Ford Excursion placard says 36 on all 4 tires. I have found them in the mid 40’s! Obviously some untrained jocky who is not even thinking how to properly do a job.

2 Likes

I did try to use the “Copy Quote”, to no avail.

Aside from that forum-related business, I forgot to ask:

How were the tires in your 1981 Citation inflated to over 50psi when back then, most (passenger car anyway) tires had a max. cold pressure stamped on them of 35?

Back in my own young n’ dumb, (the eighties, early nineties), I would add 5psi to that tire sidewall info. So I was riding around in my '81 Buick or my '96 Contour with 38-40psi in the tires, not knowing any better at that point. But 15-20psi over tire sidewall value? I wasn’t that crazy!

+1
The people who they employ for tasks such as these are not mechanics.

I don’t recall what the max pressure on the tire sidewall was, but I distinctly recall being shocked to find that all 4 tires were inflated–at the factory, prior to shipping, obviously–to 55 psi.

Well, as I just proved, it does work.

1 Like

Opposite problem- Some years back, I bought new LT tires for my Chevy 2500. I found out after I got home, they were only inflated to 32 PSI. Drove quite a distance at expressway speeds and was none too pleased to find out they were significantly underinflated. When I hopped out, I felt one of the tires and it was pretty toasty compared to normal so I checked the pressures. Idiots. Now I check them in the parking lot before I drive off…

2 Likes

If you or a mod could show me how, it would be appreciated. I cannot do it on on mobile or desktop versions of Car Talk

Check Book, WTH is that anymore??? :rofl:

In todays technology, why does anyone need to know how to balance a check book anymore, you can call the bank for updates or better yet, you can log into your account from your phone while basically anywhere you have service including the middle of a creepy cemetery (that ones for you VDCdriver lol) 24/7/365 or 366 on leap years…

Yes I can balance a checkbook, but not needed anymore, heck I even made a Excel spread sheet that I set up and it did it for me… But the online bank shows you the same thing that the bank statements show you…
BTW: I find having to wright checks discriminates against those of us that can’t spell for crap… :laughing:

1 Like

+1
Part of my morning routine is to log into my checking account on my phone in order to see which checks have cleared, to see which direct deposits have taken place, and–most important of all–to make sure that there hasn’t been any bogus activity.

1 Like

Just hit “Quote” it will open a new reply panel with the quote or if you already have one open, it will populate wherever you stopped typing.

2 Likes

Easy enough, for quoting a single piece of post from a single user.

I just tried to Copy Quote both you and VDC(about him logging into his checking) above you, but after selecting a portion his, then clicking Copy Quote, then yours, then Copy Quote, nothing happens! Nothing pops up prompting me to insert, or delete as desired, multiple quotes.

Same goes for on my desktop/laptop(Chrome) as well as on my tablet(iPad).

quote 1

quote 2

There, I did it, first time. Just repeat the highlight, then hit ‘quote’ button procedure.

1 Like

Not “copy quote” just “quote”

Use Quote ONLY, Do Not hot COPY quote…

@It_s-Me beat me to it… lol

1 Like

There. That was using the first option, the ‘Quote’ function, on my laptop.

From a separate user - success - again using the leftmost option ‘Quote’, on the laptop. Multi-quoting, using either the first option ‘Quote’ or second option ‘Copy Quote’ does not work on the tablet.

Any-whooo, let’s get back to the masthead - Tires! lol

It works for the rest of us… Don’t use COPY

I think that we have beaten that horse to death.

Of course not, lol!

After selecting a section of a comment, I see, on the tablet, it’s “Quote” | “Copy Quote” | “Share” | Copy

I can quote one phrase, from one user, at a time on the tablet, using “Quote”.

I can quote multiple phrases, from the same user or from many on the desktop, using “Quote”.

“Copy Quote” does bupkiss - nothing! - on the desktop or the tablet.

I hope admins and mods can see our testing - might make a good sticky or reference post. :laughing: