Dealership statement on place to not buy gasoline / problem car

MeanJoe75Fan, the person in question apparently works directly for Lexus. As this has escalated to Lexus corporate level at least on the engine codes, it didn’t seem wise on my part to answer his questions directly, due to the fact that I’m not sure where this all will end up. I certainly have no desire to have any legal action over any of this, and if there is a determination that this car was damaged from the start, yet sold as a Certified Lexus car, fully inspected and given the stamp of approval by Lexus, I would hope Lexus corporate would make the best good-faith effort to resolve the problem to my satisfaction. But it didn’t seem wise to make certain points on a public forum that would allow Lexus to scapegoat any of my actions instead of just finding the problems and fixing them. I don’t think it would help either party to have any legal teams involved at this point. I tried to make that point as respectfully as possible to him, but I’m not going to please everyone all the time, as it’s impossible. If you don’t want to help or make a comment, that’s your right, just as it’s my right to leave out information when I know someone from Lexus is reading my posts and asking questions that tend to lead towards scapegoating my actions. It’s a free country.

@golfdawg11

You’re suggesting one of us “regulars” is working directly for Lexus

That’s pretty funny

And even if it were true . . . SO WHAT?!

It’s not as if anybody here has disclosed their true name or address

People who work for Lexus don’t have time to get involved with a YELP! thread on a meassage board about a fuel gauge and a repainted bumper.

One shouldn’t rely on the sellers inspection report to assure the body and paint are in exellent condition.

The report reads
"Exterior Appearance Inspection" -

Lexus standard/Needs repair/ Needs replacement

Panel alignment/fit
Headlamp, tail lamp/lens condition
Windshield/glass condition
Paint chips/scratched
Body damage/dents/dings
Trim and moldings

This part of the inspection is subjective and the final inspection will be performed by the buyer.
When buying a rental or loan vehicle cosmetic repairs are to be expected.

He admitted to working for Lexus. If you can’t bother to read the thread, don’t criticize me for stating what’s written right before your eyes. As far as “who cares if he does?”, I care. As far as it being cosmetic repairs, apparently the dealership thinks it was not a good idea to sell it as a Certified Lexus with a poorly repainted/repaired bumper, since they have already agreed to repaint and fix it no charge with no push from me.

He admitted to working for Lexus

He might work for a company that owns Lexus dealerships.

It is difficult to have a discussion about your engine fault codes if you won’t disclose them.

Multiple misfire code P0300, I don’t have the other code with me as I’m out of town for the holidays, but it related to fuel system/fuel sensor. Lexus has already had a recall associated with the misfire codes with the IS250, just not in the group of cars associated with my IN.

I acknowledge the possibility that the vehicle was probably in an accident that affected the accuracy and possibly repeatability of the fuel level sensing system. But I don’t think that’s your real problem. I think your real problem is the belief that you can run your gas tank well past the illumination of the “get gas” light without any consequences…even when you already know it has run out on you previously. You cannot. And you should not. You’ve dramatically increased your chances of premature fuel pump failure. Don’t be surprised if your pump fails.

Sorry, but of my candor causes you to rethink your fillup habits, it’ll have been worth it.

@golfdawg11-

TwinTurbo, regarding the Lexus resource …this matter has the potential to develop into something full blown (though I certainly don’t want that too happen, too much energy and too much time involved). It would not be wise on my behalf to share details on questions that seemed to be leaning towards scapegoating my actions, regarding however pure his intentions may have been.

From what I read, he was telling you the internal status of your case- very valuable information you might not otherwise have access to. That kind of information could be very valuable no matter which direction this goes.

Besides, think about your own job and any similarities here. Do you really think he is going to run to his supervisor and say that he found someone on an internet forum that has been posting about a problem with their car and this giant corporation will certainly want to know the gruesome details!! Even if people all the way up the chain would really give a rip, what harm is there in stating the facts? Those will come out anyway if this turns into some big litigation as you seem to be positioning yourself for. In the meantime, no one can offer any decent help because you are witholding critical details.

I didn’t “shoot from the hip”. I thought the comment through completely before I responded. I don’t regret my comment then or now.

OK, it’s good not to have regrets after a cooling off period. Personally, I think you gave up more than you gained.

I understand that cars are complex devices, but when you are told every single time that the engine codes could not be replicated, and there’s nothing else they can do, then it seems to be the system is fatally flawed.

Like everything in life, there is a cost-benefit tradeoff. It’s not the space shuttle and most people would not be willing to assume an across the board major increase in the cost of cars to support an infallible and all knowing supervisory computer system that can detect and identify every possible problem. It stinks when you have the exception but that’s the position you’re in. That being said, not all mechanics or dealerships are created equal. Have you tried other places?

The fuel system engine code has a long list of potential problems with a format to test them one by one. Yet they still cannot find the reason. I do like one suggestion however. Wait until the low fuel light comes on and take it in with 20 miles remaining showing and let them drive it then. Murphy’s Law being what it is, it would of course not stop running until it hits zero. Perhaps there would be more motivation if they think they will run out of gas at 70MPH on the interstate like I did :slight_smile:

Many people here do not understand the obsession with the low fuel warning indicator inaccuracy. Count me in. Regardless, it’s only a nusiance now that you know the issue exists. It’s only a safety issue if you allow it to continue to be one. You know the problem exists yet you continue to want to press your luck. Therefore, the (safety risk) onus is on you at this point.

Sincerely I wish you good luck in your quest. I have often held up the good fight when I felt compelled to do so. But I also learned when to cut my losses and move on.

P0300 and only during low gas levels.

Are you sure the car didn’t throw a ID-10T error

First of all, I don’t plan to drive this car past the Low Fuel light indicator if and when it comes on again. Again, it’s never happened with any other cars supposedly much less reliable than the Lexus, but, it is what it is at this point. It runs out of fuel before it’s supposed to. As you said, it’s a nuisance, but I have to accept that, unless when I take it to the body shop next week and they do notice a dent in the tank. I’m tired of fooling with it.

So I’m not fighting Lexus anymore on that, the error code suggests additional problems with the fuel system. But if I can’t get them to find them, what’s the point? I’m all about the “good fight”, but if they won’t pursue it, and I don’t have anything more definitive to tell them except it runs out of gas before it indicates it will, I"m at a dead end. My mechanic says I should press them on the issue, as he pointed out it would cost me anywhere from $100 to $3,000 if he were to go through the process to find the problem himself. He said he could find it immediately or it might take every step of the process. But, they say they have gone through the process, so that’s that.

I will post the error code at some point, in fact I may call them tomorrow for it. If it at some point has the same error code without the low gas indicator light on, that would put everything in a different light.

The engine misfire engine code however, will be an ongoing issue. 700 miles into my trip with no problems so far.

As far as “preparing for a legal battle”, that’s the last thing I would want to do. Life’s too short. But, I don’t know what the Lexus employee’s position i that frequents this board. With the other code, we are talking about a big recall they already had for misfires, and my car was not included, so if they actually found out that mine had the same problem, they could have another big recall. The service coordinator stated so himself. As far as another dealership…I thought about that, but I figured it would be best to keep all the information at one dealership for the time being. I could switch to another one later, but I think it would be best not to re-invent the wheel until this dealership has gone through the entire process.

@almostrice, the P0300 was not during a low gas situation. And the traction control light came on also. Completely different issue (or so I think).

"And the traction control light came on also. Completely different issue (or so I think). "

You think incorrectly. It is not a separate issue.

When misfire is detected (meaning essentially that the engine is not running properly), ancillary systems such as Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control are shut down because it is necessary for the engine to be operating at its optimum in order for those systems to work properly.

Ahhhh, OK, VDCdriver, thanks for the info. I did mention this to Lexus but they never addressed that part of the problem. Me thinks when I get back from Thanksgiving I will still have them have their out of town engineer check it out. He wasn’t going to be there before Thanksgiving. But I did tell them I wanted to bring it in when he would be in town. BTW, initially I was told by the Lexus service coordinator that the code was not in the system when they got it back. It turned off by itself (along with the traction control light) after about 48 hours. However, when I got my paperwork, it read plain as day that the P0300 code did come up when they tested it and they did a screen shot of the code to send to corporate. Soooooo, it is there, not sure why they didn’t just come out and tell me that.