Dealer vs. garage: what's the dealio?

Deleting my post…not going to fuel the fire.

you’re not feeding anything. just one mans opinion.

if you think you dare not ,you dont.if you like to win,but think you can’t,you WON’T.

dealers will do it as cheap as they can and charge way too much. mechanics, well, they all vary

In my opinion you more likely to receive better service from an independent garage because the guy who does the work is often (although not always) the owner of the garage and has a greater stake in the business than the technician at a dealership who is only working for a pay check. Aside from that the independent has worked for someone else for years and has figured out that he can make more money by working for himself and he may be more flexible about what he charges for his work than a dealer.

Hello.I’m a automotive tech.I have worked for both independent shops,chain shops And dealers.I have found that dealers have better training toward the type of carsthey sell.But I have worked with bozo’s in all types of shops.I suggest that you talk to the techs in the shop.It is easy to see the ones that have training and the ones that always wanted to work on cars without any training.ASE is good but I have seen paper smart techs that were lost in the real world of repair.Always ask a trusted friend or ask for a referal list of customers.BBB is sometimes helpful.S-KING

S-King, what do you think the effects of pay type (Hourly vs flat rate) are on the quality of work performed?