Dead 2007 Mini Cooper S, need advice

Three comments:

1. I cant believe Mini recommends 15,000 oil changes… That is just asinine, even if the oil could hold out for that long does not mean it should. Its just a bad idea…

2. Did you complain about the oil consumption when the car was still in warranty??? IF not why not?? If I had a warranty on a car that was using oil I would raise hell till it was fixed. You can not be timmid about these things

3. Check out car-parts.com for used motors and try to find a local mechanic (NOT A DEALER) to install it for you. As others have said, the issue is you have no history on this motor and no gurentees it will be good or last. Maybe get a new 0% interest credit card and put the repair on that and pay it off over time… I just xfered all my cards to one with 0% for 18 months… When I get close to the end I will find another and do the same untill I am all paid up.

4. Now its time for hard choices, you don’t have ANY good options as far as I can see… THIS IS A 100% VERY VERY VERY LAST RESORT… If you have to scrape to get $2000 together for a repair, a Mini is the wrong car to own. Especially one coming up on 100K. but its to late for that. I am going to give you what some might call bad advice, and I don’t do it lightly… I see only one way out if you can not afford the repair… That is go buy a new or new used car 1st, maybe pick up a new credit card or two… Then let the Mini go into voluntary repo… Its not a great solution granted, and you will be paying for this mistake for years to come, but if you cant afford to fix it and you need a car to work so you can keep a roof over your head, and food on the table. Well I don’t see any other out for you. Just make sure to get a new car first, that is key… If you pay that one well, and have no other issues the repo will not kill you in the future, but it will hurt your credit for a while. Like I said this is what we call the nuclear option… If you have ANY other options ignore this one.

You need to find a nice toyota, or honda that you can run into the ground.

Some years ago BMW was recommending 15k miles oil change intervals and look how well that worked out. The net has a number of pics showing trashed and sludged beyond belief engines.

:frowning:

@OK4450 I guess since Mini is owned by BMW that all makes sence… I just cant belive they thought it was a good idea… I mean I think we all agree, it is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea… I mean it just devalues there brand, due to poor perceptions of quality.